Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NUC queen excluder  (Read 5395 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
NUC queen excluder
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:43:12 pm »
Anyone know where I can buy nuc size queen excluders? 

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Re: NUC queen excluder
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:04:16 pm »
Buy a 10 frame one and split it down the middle. 2 fer 0ne. :roll: :) d2

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:41:03 pm »
Two nucs are wider than one 10 frame.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline ThomasGR

• House Bee
    • Meli Konitsas
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 03:48:00 am »
That is true, but a wooden frame attached to the "smaller" excluder can cover that distance. May i ask you what is the aim of placing excluder to your nucs ? I keep a 5frame nuc supering with 5 frame shallows ( my own construction ) , just to see its behaviour, and finally  want to see how many frames of honey can be collected from such a nuc during a season.
Thomas , Greece @ www.melikonitsas.gr | www.beephotography.org |Apiary Weather Station |[img width= height= alt=Image created by a PHP script" width="310" height="30
]http://kairos.konitsa.eu/image_sticker.php[/img]

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 10:01:09 am »
I am trying something new for me. I am running some double deep nucs, some I intend to split and some to make honey. So far they seem to build up faster in this tall narrow configuration.

Steve

Offline ThomasGR

• House Bee
    • Meli Konitsas
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 05:05:51 pm »
Interesting idea, how many deeps have you installed ? In my "tower" which consists of 1 5-frame deep and 2 shallows ( for now ) i notice difficulty in development. The brood development in the shallows seem not perfect. Queen do not use all the frame to lay. More deeps are necessary for brood. So you can easily separate this hive and have the nucs made ready to sell. Did you notice to what level of the tower queen lays ? 2-3-4 floor ? In other words how far from the entrance ?
Thomas , Greece @ www.melikonitsas.gr | www.beephotography.org |Apiary Weather Station |[img width= height= alt=Image created by a PHP script" width="310" height="30
]http://kairos.konitsa.eu/image_sticker.php[/img]

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 05:25:34 pm »
My tower consist of two 5 frame deeps and two shallow honey supers. When the spring honey flow is over I plan to add another 5 frame deep and split one off when it is full. As I said they seem to build up faster in this tower configuration.

Steve

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 12:08:29 am »
Are you wanting to limit the brood nest or keep the queen in the hive? I made an excluder by simply cutting down an existing one. I have no idea where to buy one specifically for nucs. The plus feature is that I have enough excluder material left over to make queen retaining entrance blocks so I can stop the colony from leaving with the queen.
Later,
Ray

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 10:52:37 am »
We always just hacked up a full size one! Cheaper than a nuc size.