Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: can I use colored stain to paint my hives?  (Read 2933 times)

Offline marliah

• House Bee
can I use colored stain to paint my hives?
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:45:26 pm »
I'm completely new to this, just got my hive today and am picking up my nucs on Saturday.

I was told I should paint the hive, but I was wondering if it would be ok for me to use a colored (like pink or green) wood stain and sealant instead? any reason I shouldn't do that?

Thanks in advance!

Tara
Tara
beekeeper in central Maine
Finally getting bees again! 6/12/13

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: can I use colored stain to paint my hives?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 01:45:44 pm »
I believe you can paint them any color you want, as long as you do not paint the insides where the bees will live. Also if the stain has a strong smell, I would let them air out in the sun until any smells do not linger.

By the way, Tara, welcome to the beeforum. Ask away any questions you may have and someone will always come to help you here.
I started beekeeping April 2006 with one hive, and now have 2. I never could have made it without the help from this forum. So many things come up, so many challenges and sometimes you just need help ASAP. Well you will get it here.

Good luck with the transferring of the nuc and show us some photos after you paint the hive. OH you might have to ask permission to post photos at first. New people are not allowed to post right away.

Take care
Annette

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 01:50:42 pm »
I use a good flat exterior paint with 2 or 3 coats. I like "bull frog green" and dull white.
doak

Offline Barbara

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 01:53:41 pm »
We used an exterior latex that we got at Lowe's for $5 in the mis-tinted section.  So our hives are powder blue  :-D
Barbara

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 08:12:05 am »
Only do the outside and you can use most anything you'd paint a house with.  Or skip it:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#stoppainting
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline a wannabee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 09:28:43 am »
I used a honey maple stain because I wanted to keep it somewhat natural looking. The only problem I see I may have is that it is for indoor use. It doesnt seem to have hurt them yet. I bought the stain from Lowes. Also it was a one-step stain that also had polyurethane in it to protect it so I only gave it one or two coats and it was done.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 10:44:54 am »
We used an exterior latex that we got at Lowe's for $5 in the mis-tinted section.  So our hives are powder blue  :-D

Yup same here but I paid $8.00 for mine , sorta steel blue/grey.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Eshu

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 02:15:21 pm »
I used deck stain/sealer made by Behr.  It works just fine - and it has silicone in it for UV protection.  The UV protection is why some people argue against transparent stains.

Offline saskbeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 12:46:48 pm »
One of my beekeeper neighbors uses latex stain on all his boxes, and it seems to be holding up well (almost 10 years and counting).  Try to stand clear of oil based paints and stains, because it traps moisture from the bees in between the wood and the paint, causing it to peel.  As for colour,  If some of your brood boxes are bright warm colours, they may catch most of the drifting bees, leaving your colonies uneven, so it is best to stick with cool colours (green, blue, purple, grey, white).  As for honey supers, anything goes here. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 03:26:20 pm »

Yep, exterior (oops) latex, and it has a mildecide in there, all for $5.00 @ H.D. I really like this color.
http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/April282008/photo#5194635178743487538

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 03:36:18 pm »
I use exterior latex with good luck.  As far as color, just what ever strikes my wife's fancy except pink...LOL.  You can pick up cans of oops paint for a buck sometimes.  Frugal never hurts.

David

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 04:48:31 pm »
Pink!! Wow I never thought of that. What a great idea for 60,000 little girls. Pink, yes I must, I Must!!!

Annette