Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: when to requeen?  (Read 3467 times)

Offline Miss Pepper

• New Bee
when to requeen?
« on: April 08, 2008, 07:29:55 pm »
When I did my first inspection of the year about a month ago, I saw that I need to replace my queen.  I know I have one (though didn't try to locate her), but her laying pattern is very spotty.  When should I replace her and how long should I let them remain queenless?

Does anyone have any ideas of who to order a queen from? (I'm in Washington State)  I got my hive from Georgia, but I don't know if it's ok to order a queen from across the country.  Ideas?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: when to requeen?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 03:21:45 am »
When I did my first inspection of the year about a month ago, I saw that I need to replace my queen.  I know I have one (though didn't try to locate her), but her laying pattern is very spotty.  When should I replace her and how long should I let them remain queenless?

Does anyone have any ideas of who to order a queen from? (I'm in Washington State)  I got my hive from Georgia, but I don't know if it's ok to order a queen from across the country.  Ideas?

Try Olympic Wilderness Apiary in Port Angeles.  He has Russian/Survivor stock.  He next days them every thursday starting in late May I think.  I've gotten some and like them.  The other nice thing is they are aclimated locally as well as mite resistant.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 01:11:23 pm »
It might be spotty because its early in season.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Miss Pepper

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 05:42:24 pm »
So should I wait to replace her until next month?

Are you saying that her laying could get better as Spring progresses?

Some people say that it's a good idea to requeen every year, even if the queen looks fine.  Do you think that's a good idea or should I just let her be if her brood pattern gets better?

(sorry for all the questions!  Requeening is an aspect of beekeeping that I don't know much about)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:39:40 pm »
my brood patterns are all spotty.  i think it's the weather.  we are still in the 30's at night and rain, rain, rain.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 08:54:52 pm »
If the bees agreed with your assessment, odds are they would have already replaced her.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin