Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee from Plano Texas  (Read 3216 times)

Offline IcemanTX

• New Bee
Newbee from Plano Texas
« on: November 03, 2013, 11:44:24 pm »
I've been bitten by the beekeeping bug and have started to build my hives and prepare for Spring 2014 and my first bees!  I live in a neighborhood and will have 2 hives in my backyard.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Newbee from Plano Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:31:50 am »
Welcome to the forum, Iceman.  There are lots of threads and videos here, and post all the question you want.  you may also want to join your local bee club.  Good luck to you

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 08:57:37 am »
Welcome to the forum Ice.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 11:14:18 pm »
Have you ordered your bees yet?   And welcome to the forum.

Offline IcemanTX

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 01:12:49 am »
I talked to a guy from my local bee club yesterday that supplies bees and he will be taking orders starting in December.  So I will be getting with him again next month.  I am going to purchase 2 nucs more than likely.  I've spent the last 3 months reading every bee book I can find and watching every bee video on you tube.  I even bought me an ultrabreeeze suit and wore it for Halloween!  haha  (technically I'm not a beekeeper yet so it counts as a costume)  I think it is safe to say I have been bitten by the bug.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 06:21:28 am »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 07:41:07 am »
Welcome to the forum.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Moots

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 09:30:53 am »
Ice,
Your story sounds quite familiar, I first got interested in late October of last year, did a ton of information gathering, and started with Two Nucs in January.  As it sits now, I've got 1o hives and I spent yesterday trying to figure out how many more frames I need to order and how many more boxes I want to build.  :laugh:

I would give you fair warning that the hobby is a bit addictive, but it sounds like you've already figured that part out.  :-D

What equipment direction have you decided to go...Deeps/Mediums, Wax/Plastic or Foundationless, Solid or SBB? etc? etc?

Welcome to the forum, this place can be a great resource...don't be afraid to use it.   Just keep in mind that if you ask 3 Beeks a question, you're likely to get at least 4 different answers.  :laugh:

While this can be confusing, It's all good information to have.  My approach on any given issue has been to gather any and all opinions and then to do what seemed "right" for me and my situation.  I'm still VERY GREEN as a Beek, but this approach has served me well so far.

Good Luck to you and your Bees!  :)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 01:19:40 pm »
For Halloween of 2012 I went to visit some of my Grand kids in Fla.  I wore the full bees suit, and had some gorilla gloves.  They have a Jack Russel, got him a bee outfit.  We all had a great time. 
Good luck to you.

Joe

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 11:00:45 pm »
Welcome, Iceman!
I'm a reader, so I'd love to know which books you're reading, and how you like them.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline Rex Smith

• House Bee
    • Harmony Hollow Apiary
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 11:44:54 pm »
Welcome to the forums, Iceman.  I'm just a few minutes south of you in Richardson.  I used to keep my bees in my yard here in teh city, however, now I keep them all on farms away from West Nile mosquito spraying.

You'll find a wealth of information on the forums!