Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plantain, we need to know!!!  (Read 9406 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Plantain, we need to know!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 11:42:16 am »
I'm wondering with my bees on my deck if I can grow plantain in a pot....any thoughts?  Does it have a deep tap root or would it grow in a pot?

Linda T heading for Mississippi

Linda, Michael is right about it loving to grow in compact soil.  The broad leaf plantain that invades my lawns has a very short root, not a tap root at all.  The root is similar to many of the weeds (and plants and flowers) that have that root that is like the buttercup.  The root is shallow with many, many little roots all coming from the rosette of the plant.  The roots spread out sideways, downwards and are all attached to the base of the plant.  This gives the plant an enormous power to stay stuck in the soil.  I dig out plantain all the time from specific areas in the lawn and this reduces the amount that is there, it can make like a mat and completely smother the grass.  It is actually quite easy to get out if you do it right and the soil has been moistened (which is easy to have occur around my climate, hee, hee).  You could very very easily grow broad leafed plantain in a pot, simple as pie, hee, hee.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, love this life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 12:17:10 pm »
Cindi is right, it has just a short "puff" of tiny roots and you could easily put em in a pot, smash the soil around em good.  That is a great idea cause you could put the pot up so the unappealing animal residue is greatly decreased!  Much more palatable to masticate knowing this! ;)  I'm gonna look for some today!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 01:09:14 am »
I'm going to try Michael's idea about compacted clay soil (no problem finding that in Georgia!) and put several pots on my deck.  I live in the city and have a yard service so there's none in my yard, but I'll bet I'll find some in the area if I look around.

Linda T in Mississippi where it's hot as #$%&#) - How did I grow up in this heat???

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 01:10:28 am »
Mine grows in both tightly compacted soil and loose sandy loam...

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2008, 02:08:09 am »
Mine grows in both tightly compacted soil and loose sandy loam...

Mine grows where ever it wants to, my wife keeps pulling it up from the flower and vegitable gardens.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 11:45:06 am »
Look in gravel driveways at head of where you park car. Walkways, baseball fields and such.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".