Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First mating swarm!!  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Chanticleer48

• House Bee
First mating swarm!!
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:45:52 am »
I saw a mating swarm for the first time a couple of days ago in my bee yard.  I first thought it was one of my hives swarming because I heard the roar but I could not see the swarm, when I finally spotted the swarm it was real high, probably between 80 to 100 feet up in the tall pines, and they circled around the bee yard for about 20 to 30 minutes without landing anywhere.  I did a quick check of my hives and none had signs of swarming, I knew I had some virgin queens in a couple of my hives and I realize it must be a mating swarm.  After about 30 minutes the swarm just dissipated and/or disappeared, I walked over to the spot where I last saw the swarm and saw a couple of drones that had fallen on the ground with their sex organs torn off.  It was really cool!!!  Man I love being a beekeeper!!!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: First mating swarm!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:01:07 am »
Maybe a drone comet?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Chanticleer48

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 10:06:50 am »
Is that what its called?  I wasn't sure on how to label it.  A drone comet...cool.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 02:24:18 pm »
The virgin often leaves with some bees who eventually come back.  Once the drones catch wind of her scent the queen is followed by a drone comet.  Usually this is at a DCA but sometimes it can happen in the beeyard.  The "couple of drones that had fallen on the ground with their sex organs torn off" would be the evidence that it was drones...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Packrat3wires

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 06:08:51 pm »
I have heard it is difficult to catch a glimpse of a mating swarm.    I had never heard it called a drone comet before but that name really fits.   I love that name!!!
"evil prevails when good men fail to act"   Edmund Burke