Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: extracting frames with pollen in them?  (Read 1991 times)

Offline goertzen29

• House Bee
extracting frames with pollen in them?
« on: August 07, 2010, 03:28:46 pm »
I tried some top entrances this year and like the simplicity of them but they both have an interesting comb pattern.  The front 1/3 being filled with pollen and the back 2/3 filled with honey.  Just about every frame in the supers are like that.  Now that the honey is mostly capped I'm wondering if I can extract like this or will all the pollen come out of the comb with the honey?

Is this common for top entrances? 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: extracting frames with pollen in them?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 03:39:13 pm »
i don't know about your entrance question, but i wouldn't worry about the pollen.  most people would consider it a + in their honey.  if you are straining it as you extract, you'll get the big bits. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline goertzen29

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 07:23:41 pm »
I guess I was wondering if the pollen would come out in chunks which would filter out nicely or little bits which may not.  I'm not opposed to pollen in my honey I just don't think I want big chunks if it and I just run my honey through window screen so it only get the big stuff.

Also I noticed some of the pollen appears to have honey on top of it, so I was wondering if that would flavor my honey?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:16:06 pm »
The pollen will not come out.  You need to match pollen combs on opposite sides of the extractor to balance it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin