Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: South PA/North MD Bee Concerns  (Read 2452 times)

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
South PA/North MD Bee Concerns
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:05:17 pm »
Nu-Beek here starting 2 hives in Carroll Valley, PA about 6 miles from Gettysburg.  I am wondering what equipment I should purchase in order to prepare for SHB or other pests.  I am already going sticky board, SBB, and possible PS (powdered sugar) method of IPP.  Is there anything geographically I need to think about?  Thanks all
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline wetland bee

• New Bee
Re: South PA/North MD Bee Concerns
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 04:42:44 pm »
We do not have problems here, that you read on this forum with hive beetle's. I have seen them running on bottom board. But very few.Your concern will be the orchard fellows. they have to spray at first bud and then again 10 days latter. you do not want your bees within 1 mile of the sprayed trees. Flowers on trees our of no concern but the dandelions and clover under trees will get them in trouble.I do a lot of hunting on the hill across RT 116 from carroll valley. I do not remember any fruit trees that  close. So you should be fine. your year will start with bees swarming the last week of April.Your first honey will be tulip poplar,then black locust. The remaineder of summer will be white dutch Colver. you have very little goldenrod in carroll valley, area kept to clean.All and all you should have a great spot.
Russ

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:37:02 pm »
Wetland B,

Thanks so much that is some awesome scoop.  I was worried about the spraying.  I actually am putting my hives out on Mount Hope road at Willow Pond farm the site for the annual lavendar festival.  I will check the maps for closeness to orchards though.  The locust I figured on but the tulip poplar was news for sure.  Do you have active hives?  I would love to stop by and chat bees sometime if your interested.  Thanks again for the info.

CVBees
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline wetland bee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 08:42:55 pm »
14 hives still looking good.We have to make it to the red buds on silver maple though a couple weeks away yet.
Russ

anything