Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question about supers  (Read 2389 times)

Offline jmsk

• New Bee
Question about supers
« on: July 30, 2007, 08:54:01 am »
I live in south PA and I would like to know how many supers do you need on a avrage hive?
I was also woundering when to put the supers on at the begining of the year?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Question about supers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 09:19:51 am »
Are you asking about brood chambers or honey supers?  For brood chambers,  I would say 2 deeps is the average,  but it depends on the strength of the colony.   Weaker hives should not be given more room then they need, so sometimes 1 deep is sufficient, especially in the Spring.

Honey supers depend on the strength of the hive and how the nectar flow is.  I can't say there is an average number as things fluctuate to much.  You only add honey supers as they are needed.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BlueEggFarmer

• House Bee
    • Blue Egg Farm
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 09:38:02 am »
To add to the original question:
How often should the hive be opened up to know that another brood or honey super is required?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 11:31:29 am »
you can pretty much tell how full they are by just popping the top and taking a look.  if you know the bottom was full and you see the top box is pretty full, add another super.  i usually stick a small flashlight in my pocket.  i can get a  good idea of what they are up to without pulling frames.

before winter, take the thing apart and make sure that they have filled with honey the the supers that you are leaving, .  if they have not, feed before winter so that they are topped off. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 12:27:13 pm »
KathyP, what an excellent idea about the flashlight.  That thought never once crossed my mind.  But you are 100% bang on with that.  A little flashlight will be my companion now.  I actually have a little tiny snakelight, and that could be really handy the way that it can be bent and turned.

I think that we should resurrect that old post about the "beehive toolbox" that everyone was putting their two cents worth into, and add the flashlight, along with all the other useful little things that everyone helped out with  :).  Have a wonderful day, greatest of life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline michelleb

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 07:08:01 pm »
A good way to get a look at boxes (brood or surplus) is to remove and set on end each box and look at the bottom. If you see swarm cells at the bottom, you need to open up the brood nest (by either inserting empty frames or by adding a brood box). This also makes it easy to scrape burr comb.

How about supers? Well, if you're working with bare foundation, you'll want to rotate undrawn frames into the middle of the super, and only add additional boxes once the last one is about 70% drawn. Otherwise, you risk the "chimney effect", where bees draw out the middle few frames in each box. (Also a problem with brood boxes.)

But if you have supers of drawn, empty foundation, the more the merrier. From what I can understand, lots of empty comb will encourage a strong colony to gather more nectar.

Pocket Meadow Farm

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 09:06:56 pm »
>how many supers do you need on a avrage hive?

Somewhere between none and seven.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jmsk

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 10:22:16 pm »
Do I put one honey super on at a time and wait till it gets full before I put another one on, or should I put them all on at once?  :?

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 10:26:16 pm »
I would put one on and when 70-80% drawn and filled put another under it.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 07:16:35 am »
>Do I put one honey super on at a time and wait till it gets full before I put another one on, or should I put them all on at once?

Once they are all drawn and you're in a flow you can put them all on at once.  Until then it's better to wait until they are at least working the last one since they often tear up the foundation in the upper ones to draw comb in the lower ones and foundation often melts and sags.  Of course if you have plastic foundation this may not be so much of a problem.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything