Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oppertunity to get bees advice needed !  (Read 2661 times)

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
Oppertunity to get bees advice needed !
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:49:50 pm »
I have a chance to get some bees. There is a cranberry marsh near me that just had the hives removed. There are bees all over. A freind of mine workes there and said there clustering on some objects.

I have to wait till 8 ish till i can get in there. Its 2:30 now Whats the odds the bees will still be there? What should i bring? my bee vac, What else ? Will they be agressive or mild due to there home being gone.

How should i hive them? Could i put some of them in a nuc that has just foundation frames and add a queen in a few days ? or should i try to combine them with my existing hive with newspaper ? Mabey set up a whole new hive ? Sorry for all the questions.

I just cant pass up free bees !
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:11:06 pm by twintrades »

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Oppertunity to get bees advice needed !
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 05:20:46 pm »
if they are swarms you don't need a vac.  just take clippers and boxes.  the size depends on the size of the swarm, so take all that you can.  better bigger and reduce than to small.

if they are just left over bees from the hives, i wouldn't bother.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 05:35:14 pm »
why would'nt you bother ? Think there gonna be gone by the time i get there ?

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:31:46 pm »
sounds like foragers left behind like kathy says probly all wore out; cranberrys hard on bees i hear
to bee or not to bee

Offline Danger Brown

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 07:44:49 pm »
I'd certainly go take a look. Swarms would be worthwhile.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 07:54:52 pm »
I hope its a Swarm And it stays. Can you start a new hive with foragers by screening the entrance and requeening?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 07:57:35 pm »
no.  they are the old bees and are done raising brood.

it's worth a look.  if you find clumps, you can box them up and try to combine them with other hives if there is no queen.  nothing lost but your time.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 08:12:40 pm »
Well I guess I'll go and find out what's up over there. If nothin else I'll do a paper combine and add some bees to my existing hive. I'd like to go into winter with the hive 2 deep. Friend just told me it looks like 4 or more lbs of bees there. It will be a new experience for shure. Good or bad I'll let you know.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:24:59 pm »
that many in one clump sounds like a swarm. 

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 09:26:51 pm »
Thats what im hoping for ! Im heading out in 30 min wish me luck. If ya never hear from me agin it didnt go so good. :roll:

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 10:02:56 pm »
make sure you let us know what happened.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 01:20:28 am »
Im back. 50 miles round trip. Story is as follows

Drove out to his house. Shoot the breeze withem for 5 min. drove 6 miles out to the bees. Again talked, this time for 30-45 min about this and that. He left me to my work. Now the sun is almost set i drove 1 mile out into a cranberry marsh. I know ill be lost leaving. Anywho started the little generator suited up and doned my gloves and veil. Now im sweatting like a pig and havent done anything yet. I walked to the bees and saw some fanning..... ( should have a queen in the bucket i think.) brushed the majority in the bucket. ANd snaped on the lid. Stood back and looked at my outfit............ Im covered in bees ! Good thing it workes ! Any who i made short work sucking up the rest. I left a nuc sized swarm trap with a frame lined with wax for any stragglers or swarms in the area. Next yr when the bees get put out there going to call me and let me put out as manny swarm traps as i want. And repeat the proccces of removing the xtra bees.

RECAP for thoses who hate to read.
1 Bs with friend    2 Drive with more Bs when we get there.      3 Brushed bees and vac up the remainder   4 Left nuc box for straggelers    5 Went home. will hive the bees in the morning.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 01:26:32 am »
the bucket has ventilation?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 01:28:48 am »
Nice catch twintrades! 

I have this image of you in the middle of nowhere, in a swamp, at night, COVERED with bees, and I’m laughing.  Sorry  :) 

I hope these are the best bees ever!

+1 on the ventilation.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 01:35:53 am »
Yes the bucket has 4 lines of holes drilled down the sides and the cover is 90% open all coverd with screen and duct tape to hold it tight.

Yep that would be me. In the middle of nowhere no light other than headlights ( bees like thoses also)

Wanna know somthing funny ?? after everything was done and put away i could hear buzzing still. i thought mabey a swarm was on the ground or somthing. But no it was the largest cloud of skeeters ive ever saw !! I think if there was one more they would have carried me away with them. i diddnt notice them when i was playing with my bees. But  :shock: OMG :shock: Thank god for The veil. nuf said

anything