Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: moving hives solo  (Read 17294 times)

Offline ballardbee

• New Bee
moving hives solo
« on: January 30, 2009, 10:45:41 pm »
Does anyne have any great suggestions/ideas on how to move hives by yourself.
Is there any type of dolly/handtruck out there for this industry?

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: moving hives solo
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 10:53:41 pm »
You can modify a regular hand truck or get a boom for your pick up. I started out by moving them all by hand and what a pain it is.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:57:20 pm »
I think the problem is going to be keeping them from tilting with any kind of handtruck. These work great but take two people. https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=193

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 11:06:41 pm »
Tilting from side to side may be bad but what about turning them the other way where they tilt front to back? I have one of those from dadant and think they are a valuble tool to have but you need a helper then.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:38:13 pm »
I have wondered about this hand truck- :-\ but i think with pallets they would have to be spaced futher than i keep them -looks cooll though -RDY-B

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 09:47:50 pm »
I installed a hydralic hoist on the back of my pickup.  since I am physically challenged these days I needed something that would let me load a lot of things by myself.  The hoist is great I can left a hive of bees using a couple of straps, 55 gal barrels, hay bales, etc with it.  Cost me less than $75.00 on sale at HFT.  I'm now getting an electric winch so I can use it and the hoist to yard and load.  I figure on using it to butcher animals.  I will be ableto kill, lift, slaughter, and haul any animal up to the 1000lbs.

It's amazing what 1 person can do with a 4X4 pickup and the right tools.  My pickup is also my tractor.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 09:52:12 pm »
Forgot about that hoist from HFTs, great idea. Brian, what would you be slaughtering that would weigh 1000 lbs?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 10:43:54 pm »
I saw a pic from a man who had the hoist set up so it would go into his recever for trailer hitch -could be removed in seconds -it also gave better swing for the hoist being in the center- 8-) RDY-B

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 11:11:09 pm »
Forgot about that hoist from HFTs, great idea. Brian, what would you be slaughtering that would weigh 1000 lbs?

...JP

Can you say MOO?  Hi:  My neighbor has a cow that weighs over 2000 lbs.  Fy:  Sounds like a lot of bull to me.

I saw a pic from a man who had the hoist set up so it would go into his recever for trailer hitch -could be removed in seconds -it also gave better swing for the hoist being in the center- 8-) RDY-B

I have my hoist set just behind the passenger side wheel well.  I'm setting up my winch so I can slip it into the Class 4 hitch I have on the back of the truck.  That way I can use them both at the same time, either on the same job or doing different parts of different jobs.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline IABeeMan

• House Bee
    • Natures Best Honey
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 10:03:00 pm »
 My Dad moves several hives back home solo. He bought a pick up corner hoist at the local farm and ranch store. The hoist is mounted in the rear corner of his pick up and has a small crank similar to the type on the tongue of a boat trailer. the hole unit weighs no more than maybe 20-30 lbs. Most of his hives are on small pallets not much bigger than the hive itself. to make these pallets he simply cut 2-3 runners of of a regular pallet. To keep the hive balanced while lifting he made a set of small forks with a C type brace so that the lifting point is centered above the hive. If you have seen the trucks that load sheetrock you know what I am talking about. His entire set up cost him about $100 and works extrememly well. I would love to post a pic of it but I am a newbee so it wont load the pics.

Offline IABeeMan

• House Bee
    • Natures Best Honey
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 10:08:33 pm »
                    O -------------------------------Small boom cable attaches here
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
II           
II
II
II
II
II                 ----------------------------- Hive sits here on pallet
II
II
II
II
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII  ----------------Small set of forks

Hopefully this crude drawing helps picture what I am talking about. It is made out of 2x2 in square tubing and has 4 or 5 diff attaching points along the top rail (which is centered between the bottom forks) to enable you to balance the weight of different size and weight of hives.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 06:44:21 am »
I am poor and still use the old ruff way, I ratchet strap each of my hives to hold them together (when moving they are usually double deep or deep and medium) , pick them up and set on trailer, strap all down and go. oh and the night before I move them I will screen the entrances, keeps the flying down when moving them.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 06:04:44 pm »
You should also be able to make some type of a wood frame for the back of your truck so your can use a pully system.  just loop the rope back and forth through a few pullies to multiply your strength.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 12:01:03 am »
I have wondered about this hand truck- :-\ but i think with pallets they would have to be spaced futher than i keep them -looks cooll though -RDY-B
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=1163&idCategory=15

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 12:22:23 am »
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=1163&idCategory=15

Nice if you have that kind of money to waste...I mean spare.   :-D

Offline soilserf40

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 10:10:37 am »
I find that I must relocate a couple of hives from there present location asap.

The question is:  the move requires a 5 hour trip with hives in the back of a pickup truck with the temp.

ranging from 44 to 54 degrees. Do you think the bees can handle this ?    Thanks!

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 12:28:58 pm »
I would say that you could without too much trouble.  Just do your best not to bounce around a whole lot so that you do not break the cluster.

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 02:02:01 pm »

Try this link. http://bushfarms.com/beescarts.htm

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 07:11:54 pm »
You can get a dolly, or you can just move them a box at a time on a nice day and wait until dark for them to settle down:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmoving.htm#100yards
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 10:39:25 pm »
I find that I must relocate a couple of hives from there present location asap.

The question is:  the move requires a 5 hour trip with hives in the back of a pickup truck with the temp.

ranging from 44 to 54 degrees. Do you think the bees can handle this ?    Thanks!

I've move hives about 300 miles without a problem, the commercial beekeeper's move them by the hundreds and a lot further than that, you should be okay.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 09:26:54 am »
I installed a hydraulic hoist on the back of my pickup.  since I am physically challenged these days I needed something that would let me load a lot of things by myself.  The hoist is great I can left a hive of bees using a couple of straps, 55 gal barrels, hay bales, etc with it.  Cost me less than $75.00 on sale at HFT.  I'm now getting an electric winch so I can use it and the hoist to yard and load.  I figure on using it to butcher animals.  I will be able to kill, lift, slaughter, and haul any animal up to the 1000lbs.

It's amazing what 1 person can do with a 4X4 pickup and the right tools.  My pickup is also my tractor.

Brian,

You certainly have an excellent Attitude  :-D

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 09:28:50 am »

Don't be shy, find another Beek in your area to help you out  :)

Offline Chef Isaac

• House Bee
    • Sweet as can BEE Honey Farm
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 12:29:12 am »
my back is hurting just reading this thread! :)

Seriously, if you need help, there are enough beekeepers in the area to help you out.
Chef Isaac... Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com