Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long does a queen pipe?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline stella

• House Bee
How long does a queen pipe?
« on: June 25, 2013, 04:58:08 pm »
I have a hive that I started inspecting on the 21st. A queen was piping so I closed the hive and walked away. Today, the 26th, I was out watching the bees bearding, and heard piping again from the same hive. This is a very full hive I started in April.

How long do queens pipe?

“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
Re: How long does a queen pipe?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 02:26:42 am »
Only Virgin queens pipe. Either one of two things happened,
1. Your bees swarmed.
2. They superseded her.
I'd be more inclined to say that if you have a strong hive that you started in April and you are just now inspecting, they swarmed.
I have never heard a queen pipe. But I also inspect my bees and know if they have swarmed, are about to swarm or are trying to supersede.  I know that when I have queen cells or a virgin queen that I stay out of the hive until I know it is time to look for eggs.  At that time you would not hear piping....

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:43:11 am »

I have been inspecting regularly every 7 to 10 days since the hive was started in April. It was just that particular day that I stopped my inspection because of the piping.

What baffles me is if the queen has been piping for a week or if another one hatched.

“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:54:51 am »
>Only Virgin queens pipe.

I've seen mated queens in cages piping up a storm...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:32:25 pm »
queens pip to each other, really. it is sort of like trash talking it is believed or a type of being a politician to tell the other bees "Hey, I'm the best, I am going to come out of this cell and beat the tar out of the other ones, because I'm the one you want." type of deal....least thats a theory, I do not speak fluent honey bee to know for sure.
  So how long does it last? Only really as long as other queens are around, in their cells being developed/etc. 5 days isn't unheard of, and it can be from different sources also....if you hear a piping, and then suddenly a *ACK*, *COUGH*..."She got me...I'm coming home ester." then you know you probably won't hear it from the same sources the next day though, and someone was writing checks their butt couldn't cash. ;)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 11:11:10 pm »
queens pip to each other, really. it is sort of like trash talking it is believed or a type of being a politician to tell the other bees "Hey, I'm the best, I am going to come out of this cell and beat the tar out of the other ones, because I'm the one you want." type of deal....least thats a theory, I do not speak fluent honey bee to know for sure.
  So how long does it last? Only really as long as other queens are around, in their cells being developed/etc. 5 days isn't unheard of, and it can be from different sources also....if you hear a piping, and then suddenly a *ACK*, *COUGH*..."She got me...I'm coming home ester." then you know you probably won't hear it from the same sources the next day though, and someone was writing checks their butt couldn't cash. ;)

Don't Queen bees fight till one is dead ???  To me this is more than getting the tar out kicked you.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 12:07:27 am »
Don't Queen bees fight till one is dead ???  To me this is more than getting the tar out kicked you.

heh, try to treat it as a family forum, but touche.