Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: did not cross wire frames - problems now  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Martin

• New Bee
did not cross wire frames - problems now
« on: August 21, 2011, 03:25:49 pm »
used crimped wired foundation so i did not cross wire them. while doing inspection yesterday had problems with a few that the bees had used/ removed wax and comb from the sides and bottom. even had one where they even removed it along the crimped wires. most of  you know what happened. my question - what to do to correct the problem. thyanks martin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: did not cross wire frames - problems now
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 03:31:47 pm »
When the bees eventually decide to comb out that frame, they will fill in most of that missing wax.  They’ll leave some open for communication holes.  You don’t need to do anything to correct the problem, just give them time.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 05:27:51 pm »
Ya, don't worry about it.   The bees needed the wax and they will replace the wax next spring when they draw out those frames. 

Offline Martin

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:53:37 pm »
thanks , i was hoping that they would fill back out to edges . just lucky that the comb did not fall out .

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 07:43:01 pm »
Bees will chew away wax from foundation usually only when there is a dearh.  Once a flow starts they should fix it.  Best thing to do is stick them between two brood frames or honey combs they are working.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson