Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My beekeeping friend could use some help  (Read 2532 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
My beekeeping friend could use some help
« on: March 01, 2011, 03:07:33 pm »
My friend Manny who started a TBH last season, just called me this morning with a concern. Seems he is finding what looks like pollen piled up outside all around the hive. He swears this is pollen having touched it with his fingers. He claims it is a very large amount. He says the bees are placing it there. This is not on the ground, but on the landing.  But it is also around the entrance.(which is a small hole about the size of 2 bees)

Also found some brown streaks which I told him is a bit of diarrhea, but not much. Probably from holding in and not being able to fly out due to very cold weather.

Other than this, the bees are flying in and out very nicely.

Does anyone have any ideas I can tell him. He seems a bit worried.

Thanks
Annette

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: My beekeeping friend could use some help
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 03:11:23 pm »
it probably is pollen.  what's going where he lives?  lots of bees loaded with pollen trying to get through a small entrance :-)  someone is bound to drop a load from time to time.  bet if he does a little research he'll find that something is popping pollen big time in his area.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 05:50:48 pm »
lots of bees loaded with pollen trying to get through a small entrance   someone is bound to drop a load from time to time.

If they dropped it why wouldn't they just pick it back up and bring it in?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 06:38:46 pm »
open up the entrance
to bee or not to bee

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 06:41:07 pm »
Could it be old bee bread their removing from the hive?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:36:30 pm »
Could it be old bee bread their removing from the hive?

Does this happen, never heard anything about this??

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:37:28 pm »
open up the entrance

I truly think this is the problem, but he swears they can fit through the hole. I am going to tell him to open up the entrance and then let me know if this happens again.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:39:11 pm »
Thanks dear people for all the replies, I always appreciate your responses and know I can count on you all.

Sincerely
Annette

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 04:11:16 am »
I sold bees to guy last summer who called me claiming that they gathered so much pollen from rhubarb in one day that they had no room for it and it was everywhere in box.  when he went to install the nuc in a hive body he ended up dumping a bunch out of nuc box onto ground.  I dont know if he was nuts or what but I just went along with the story.  Maybe some times they dont have room, groom off pollen, then housekeepers take it out like trash.  Probably spoiled pollen though or entrance theory.

Just thought Id mention it.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 05:53:24 pm »
I sold bees to guy last summer who called me claiming that they gathered so much pollen from rhubarb in one day that they had no room for it and it was everywhere in box.  when he went to install the nuc in a hive body he ended up dumping a bunch out of nuc box onto ground.  I dont know if he was nuts or what but I just went along with the story.  Maybe some times they dont have room, groom off pollen, then housekeepers take it out like trash.  Probably spoiled pollen though or entrance theory.

Just thought Id mention it.

More likely, what he thought was pollen was old cappings. 

If the entrance hole is less than 3/8 inch wide/around there is going to be a good amount knocked from the pollen sacs as the bees reenter the hive.  Bees will not usually reclaim pollen discarded at the hive, whether done some by accident or design.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!