Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bitter Cold  (Read 9820 times)

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: Bitter Cold
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 09:26:50 am »
We cured a 2x4  "cold' wall on an addition by simply adding 1" foam to the outside sheeting, topped w/ exterior 5/8 plywood and screwed together w/ 8" half log siding that my son and I salvaged.  Minus our own labor the project cost just a little over $250 to cover/insulate a 10x15 wall.  Not sure what the R-value is but the difference in comfort level was well worth it and it stiffend up that part of the house so it no longer shakes w/ the wind. 

Now we can relax naked in that room w/ a fire going downstairs on the coldest nights winter throws at us, if we wanted to that is  :laugh:
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Atri

• New Bee
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 09:52:58 am »
In Poland now is -6 Celsius and snowy. Beautifully winter ;)
W Nj jest okolo -15 c nic sniegu zla zima

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 09:53:26 am »
LOL..  would you believe there was a guy out harvesting corn here today!  It got up to about 8F for a high.

Now that's a guy that's really behind in his work!

Offline Parksguyy

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 10:09:53 am »
Hey Guys,
Its -30 celius here (between Ottawa & Kingston), sun is shining.  Next week its suppose to be above 0 celius ... strange weather swings.  Kinda worried about the girls I have to say, but hopefully will be able to check (and possibly feed) next week.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 04:46:41 pm »
Just watched a documentary that blames much of it on the incredible lack of "ICE" in the Arctic, which is below any known times (during human existence) right now and subsequently is pushing cold is S/E (if in N. America) and making the jet stream go a little berserk. 

Weather people don't know jack IMO :laugh: But we who live here know 'something' is up.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 06:47:27 pm »
75 and sunny in Dallas!  I like this "new" jet streeam!  Bt I bet in the BILLIONS of years the earth has been here it has happened before.

have talked to two land owners who may let me keep my hives on their property so things are comming together.

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 07:48:45 am »
Just watched a documentary that blames much of it on the incredible lack of "ICE" in the Arctic, which is below any known times (during human existence) right now...
Weather people don't know jack IMO :laugh: But we who live here know 'something' is up.

All I know is that my first two winters as a resident in Florida (greater Tampa area) I saw ice fall from the sky and overnight temps with a 2 handle and day highs that didn't get into the 60's. It was serious enough for me to consider moving even FURTHER SOUTH, but Miami had frost those winters also.  :shock:

This year, haven't seen frost yet and SUN, SUN, SUN...now, that's NORMAL!

Offline Polish_beekeeper

• New Bee
    • www.gorskie-miody.pl
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2013, 07:26:46 am »

anything