Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Buying bee packages for the Pacific N.W.?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
Buying bee packages for the Pacific N.W.?
« on: December 01, 2008, 11:15:42 pm »
Hello all.
It is getting close to the time to order my bees but I don't know where to get them.  I would like to buy them somehwere up here in the N.W. if possible.  I am told that most of the dealers that sell bees up here are really just re-sellers for companies down south.  Is this true?  I have also been reading some horror stories about packages with lots of mites/nosema.
Does anyone have any recommendations on a few reliable companies, preferably up here in the N.W.?
My best to all.  Winenutguy.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Buying bee packages for the Pacific N.W.?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 12:30:20 am »
http://www.ruhlbeesupply.com/

here is where i get mine.  as i recall, they get them locally, but i wouldn't swear to it.  i have not had to buy for 2 years.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 12:43:04 am »
Beez Neez in Snohomish is where I am getting mine, dont know where he gets them from though.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 10:23:33 am »
He is very busy right now and I don't think he is taking orders for 09 yet but give him a go. his bees are from his own stock here in Oregon.

john@oldsolenterprises.com
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 11:01:38 am »
irwin, i hear he has good stuff. i have been wanting to get over and look at the setup, but have not had time.

here is the site link.

http://www.oldsolenterprises.com/about.html
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cacklewack

• New Bee
    • Bee Thinking
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 06:23:45 pm »
Old Sol doesn't sell packages -- Only queens and nucs.

I'll likely be getting all my (20) packages from Ruhl next year unless I can find another supplier. I'd like to buy from two different places as close to Portland, OR as possible. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Matt

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 06:39:23 pm »
ruhl is the only place i know of here.  there used to be some south and over the mountain.  if you do a google search, you can probably find out if any are still around.  i used to have them all bookmarked, but that was a computer or two ago.  :-)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 08:58:13 pm »
Hello all.
It is getting close to the time to order my bees but I don't know where to get them.  I would like to buy them somehwere up here in the N.W. if possible.  I am told that most of the dealers that sell bees up here are really just re-sellers for companies down south.  Is this true?  I have also been reading some horror stories about packages with lots of mites/nosema.
Does anyone have any recommendations on a few reliable companies, preferably up here in the N.W.?
My best to all.  Winenutguy.

I'd suggest you get ahold of Jerry Guilmette of Busy Bee Pollination Services there in Bellingham and see what he suggests, give him my name.
I'm going to be buying a couple of splits from one of the local sideliners I met through my local pigeon club (which is also where I met Jerry).
Check with you local club, or come down to mine, and see who can might be willing to sell you a split or 2, or splits from multiple sources. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline jojoroxx

• House Bee
  • Northern California Nature Girl
    • SoHumMushers
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 09:57:04 pm »
www.koehnen.com
They are located in Northern California. I purchased packages from them, and a replacement queen. Service and quality were A+.

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 09:16:34 pm »
Thank you all!  Brian, I will give that gentleman a call.  Best, Marcus

anything