Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Soaking wet swarm  (Read 8975 times)

Offline Jackam

• House Bee
Re: Soaking wet swarm
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 01:07:27 am »
I have to ask because I don't know...

You said you were going to walk them into the hive? What makes them decide that your hive is the way to go?
How do you know when the queen finally gets in the hive?

I have a lot to learn!!!

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 01:15:34 pm »
I don't charge for swarms, but they are thin on the ground here.  Only had one call so far this year, and they called back as I was loading up saying the bees left. (At least they called. Yeah!)  I didn't charge for my first cutout or trap out because I figured I was in the learning phase. (The trap out was on my way home from work, so I wasn't paying a fortune in gas to monitor it.)  I only charge about $50 to $70 for a cutout, people around here are cheap and will not pay more.  I walk away from a lot of them when I think the people could easily pay more or the job is going to be a big hairy nightmare.  The only reason I do them at all is I am still hungry for bees and some of my best bees came from cutouts.  That, and oddly enough, people here won't pay diddly up front, but then will turn around and double your payment with a big tip afterwards.  I think they feel guilty when they see how much work is involved.  I am getting close to reaching my goal in number of hives, I will quit cutouts and trapouts when that happens.  Even though I still find busting my butt all day to remove bees in a cut out fun.  Bee madness indeed!

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 02:45:07 pm »
I have to ask because I don't know...

You said you were going to walk them into the hive? What makes them decide that your hive is the way to go?
How do you know when the queen finally gets in the hive?

I have a lot to learn!!!

Swarms will walk into the entrance of a hive on there own if you have the entrance in contact with the swarm and you help a little to get them started. Couple drops of Lemon Grass oil in the hive (which mimics the queen pheromone) and a few handful scoops of bees gently set on the landing board is generally all it takes.

This swarm was on the ground after having fallen from a thunderstorm over night. All I did was place the hive (with a couple of drops of Lemon grass oil in it) upwind of the colony with a little board for a ramp and they marched right in.