Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: They find more ways.....  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
They find more ways.....
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:57:24 pm »
..... to wipe themselves out.

So I went out about 9:30ish to close the chicken door. Started counting the young'uns and couldn't find them all. Finally found some back in a tight space, but there still wasn't enough. So I started running them out of there and found the two missing ones. Must have suffocated under the others.

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
Re: They find more ways.....
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 06:04:30 pm »
when I used to raise chickens I would put cardboard in the corners to make them round, this ended the pileup in the corners that caused suffocation

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:27:22 pm »
That happens quite frequently.  I raised the little ones in water troughs.  100, 150 & 350gl one so they can stay in longer!
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 02:30:45 am »
That happens quite frequently.  I raised the little ones in water troughs.  100, 150 & 350gl one so they can stay in longer!

I brooder is an old galvanied water trough with a rusted out bottom.  I set it on some boards, hung a heatlamp over and and Wa La.  No square corners and room for up to 24 chicks for the 1st 2 weeks.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 03:53:56 am »
I was using a water trough for a while. When they looked like they were getting crowded I built a spot for them with a gate. Would run them in there, close the gate and then open up the other gate to the pen so the big ones could go in to sleep. This happened after I opened them up and let them run together. The big ones didn't get them, they got themselves. :roll:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 02:24:30 pm »
I use a 40gal poly water trough. I have several of them for the goats, chickens, geese etc so I can usually find one not in use to brood in. They only cost about 30$ and are great for about the first three weeks. Then the little chicks are jumping up on the lip to roost and get out. Same deal though, rounded, so none suffocate.

I have a big 4x8' area built on the side of the goat barn that looks like a chest freezer that I move them into at about 3 weeks or so. There is enough room in there for probably 80 birds at that age. I have 30 in there right now. I have food and water up on wire, a small roost and a heat lamp in there. There is also a door on the front (in addition to the hinged top) that I can open and let them come out if they want. It is an ideal situation for them and they'll be out there until it is time to let them get to know the rest of the flock after several more weeks of brooding.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!