Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: smoker bellows ?  (Read 3554 times)

Offline malabarchillin

• House Bee
smoker bellows ?
« on: November 30, 2008, 12:26:40 pm »
I know that I can buy a replacement bellows, but I would rather make a replacement one. Possibly out of leather. I do not wish to take my working one apart to see whats inside.
Here is a link to one. http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/gif/tool/smokexsect.gif
Is there usually only 1 hole at the bottom ? Is there a 'one way flap'/valve ? If there is no valve does air just exit the bottom hole when the bellows is compressed and the spring inside the bellows makes the air flow reverse in the same hole to reinflate the bellows.
I understand it's not rocket science, but I do not want to disassemble my working one, but I do want a homemade/working spare.
Regards
Mike

Offline rast

• Field Bee
Re: smoker bellows ?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 03:07:06 pm »
 Both of mine have 2 holes. The top holes have a restictor or valve of some sort in them. Never had one apart.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 03:52:49 pm »
I took a broken one apart and made a new one out of leather. Mine only had one hole at the bottom from which air entered and exited. I would assume that is why there is a space between the bellows hole and the inlet in the bottom of the smoker.

You should drill a hole the size of your spring half way though the wooden parts for the spring to sit into. This will keep it from slipping sideways.

One other then to think about when making a new bellows. You need something to go around the outside edges of the bellows covering the edge of the leather to keep the air in. I had planed on using the "trim" from the old bellows but soon found that my leather was thicker then the rubber/plastic used on the old one. So the trim would not fit correctly. It still works fine, I just stapled the leather to the wood. It does leak some air though. If you come up with something to use for this please let me know. I have not really put much thought into it as it is working anyway.

"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline malabarchillin

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:58:59 pm »
Thank you both for the replies.
Because there was only 1 hole I assume that there was no valve in the hole ?
When I make one I will post pics here for the archives. It will be a little while, but I will do it.
Regards
Mike

Offline Doby45

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 02:29:05 pm »
Because there was only 1 hole I assume that there was no valve in the hole ?

I would say that assumption would be fair.  If there was a valve on the inside of the single hole that would prevent air from being blown out.

Offline xC0000005

• New Bee
    • Voice of the Hive - Beekeeping and Honeybees
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 09:03:46 pm »
I built a bunch of these when I was experimenting with "simple smokers."  A single hole works, two holes with a bigger hole with a vinyl flap works better.  I found denim works well as a material (primarily because it sort of implements the "soft puff" method of producing good smoke).
"Tell me again why you want to put a box with thousands of angry, stinging insects in our backyard?" - my wife.

http://www.voiceofthehive.com