Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do I know when to move 5 frame nuc back to 10 frame?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
How do I know when to move 5 frame nuc back to 10 frame?
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:19:14 am »
I have a recovering hive in a 5 frame nuc, and this last brood cycle seems to be filling the nuc pretty well.  I'd like to give them back the rest of their frames but don't want to do so too quickly.  Plus I want to give them an Apiguard treatment as I have seen some DWV bees and spotted a few mites on bees.  Which begs another question - if I need to keep them in the nuc until stronger can I give them a half dose of Apiguard?

Thanks

Tracy

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How do I know when to move 5 frame nuc back to 10 frame?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:10:14 am »
>I have a recovering hive in a 5 frame nuc, and this last brood cycle seems to be filling the nuc pretty well.  I'd like to give them back the rest of their frames but don't want to do so too quickly.

If the nuc is full of bees you need to give them more room before they decide to swarm.

>  Plus I want to give them an Apiguard treatment as I have seen some DWV bees and spotted a few mites on bees.

Do a sugar shake or some other method to quantify the problem.  If you actually think you need to treat, then I'd also requeen.  No point perpetuating bees that can't handle the mites.

> Which begs another question - if I need to keep them in the nuc until stronger can I give them a half dose of Apiguard?

I've never used it, but I would assume that volume is the issue.  You want to fill the volume with vapor, so a half does makes sense.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: How do I know when to move 5 frame nuc back to 10 frame?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:11:04 am »
I have a recovering hive in a 5 frame nuc, and this last brood cycle seems to be filling the nuc pretty well.  I'd like to give them back the rest of their frames but don't want to do so too quickly.  Plus I want to give them an Apiguard treatment as I have seen some DWV bees and spotted a few mites on bees.  Which begs another question - if I need to keep them in the nuc until stronger can I give them a half dose of Apiguard?

Thanks

Tracy

Yes, you can go with a half or less of a dose of Apiguard.  A full dose is intended for a 2 deep hive. 

Rick
Rick