Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help swarm took over old hive  (Read 9423 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: Help swarm took over old hive
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 08:11:54 am »
Atti good for you, just starting out and didn't even have to order or buy bee's, you should be playing the "Lotto"  ;) , well seems like you got about everything going, I wish you luck!!! oh and if you move those bee's to the new hive leave the old back out there and it might catch you another swarm......
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 09:25:40 am »
Good for you. :-D

You have jump into beekeeping with both feet. Now most manipulations will seem trivial compared to this "first experience".   Good luck and let us know how they are doing when you check on them in a few days.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Atti

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 12:35:26 pm »
Robo
I have another problem. I just went outside and the bees swarmed. They are all hanging on a branch. I do not think they liked all that messing with them yesterday. I have not checked the hive to see if there are any left. I am suiting up to go outside. What do I do??????

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 12:39:05 pm »
Put them in another hive box if you have one.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Atti

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 12:42:45 pm »
How do I do that, just cut off the branch? Do I use any smoke? this is only my thrid day and there have been difficult issues for a novice.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 12:47:27 pm »
Spray them with cold water and cut the branch (support it) and gently lower it into a hive box. Put a queen excluder on. Leave in place for about two weeks.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Atti

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 12:50:24 pm »
Spray, as with a spray bottle. How cold? frig cold? I do not have a excluder I just got my beginner kit set up.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 01:02:35 pm »
Spray, as with a spray bottle. How cold? frig cold? I do not have a excluder I just got my beginner kit set up.

Refrig cold. You can add some ice cubes to the mix if you need to do it fast. No excluder is okay. If you can make a jar of sugar syrup and feed them nothing like free food to encourage them to stay.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Atti

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2007, 01:06:53 pm »
okay cross your fingers I am going out. Why do you think they swarmed because I messed with them too much or they are just too many and wanted to split???

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2007, 01:37:41 pm »
They swarmed because it is in their nature to swarm.
Good luck
Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Atti

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2007, 01:51:44 pm »
okay I am back. this bee business is complicated. I got the swarm and put it in the new hive. some went back to the old hive. I really need to do alot more reading so that I can understand this better. thanks for the advice. the water worked great!!! When do I remove the branch that went into the box with the hive???

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2007, 01:57:01 pm »
Sounds like all went pretty well.

I would put some frames in tomorrow.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Atti

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2007, 02:02:23 pm »
I will keep you posted. I hope they stay in there new home. I am going to feed they like you said.
thanks again I was freaking out and you really helped.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2007, 02:11:32 pm »
Check the hive also,   there is a difference between swarming and absconding. 

If there is still bees and a queen in the hive,  then yes they have swarmed.  If they absconded (no bee left in the hive) I would put them back in the hive and cage the queen.  Feed them like Brendhan suggested and let them settle down a few days.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Atti

• New Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2007, 02:25:55 pm »
There are bees now in both hive. The ones I caught I put in the new hive and the ones that were flying around went back to the old one. What do you think might happen? Did they do this because of all the messing around yesterday?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2007, 02:32:28 pm »
I know this is all new to you and stuff, but did you notice any queen cells (vertical peanut shaped) yesterday?   If so, it could very well be a normal swarm.

Offline Atti

• New Bee
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2007, 02:52:46 pm »
I checked the old hive before going to address the swarm and the old hive with the new addition was empty. there was just a couple of bees in there. Will they stay in both hives. I put the old one back just like it was except it is now raised off the floor. I set up the new one in other spot because there was
no where to place that one and anyways the old one is not in the best spot. I guess we will see. Any other advice.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2007, 03:41:31 pm »
So they absconded then.

I would put them back in the original hive with the brood.  Or rather pull the brood out of the vacant hive and put it in with the bees.   I would also confine the queen for a couple days, or they might just take off again, and feed them sugar syrup.   Put the hive in the original location.

The bees won't survive in both places without a queen.   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2007, 03:51:57 pm »
i'd put the old hive on top of the new hive in the old spot and wait to see what happens. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Atti

• New Bee
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2007, 03:54:35 pm »
Okay I think that the old hive is now empty. I see very little going on by the entrance. I one see a few bees coming in and out maybe robbing honey.

I have put some brood in the new hive. I also put the large entrance reducer. Is that okay? So you think I should move the hive to the spot where the old one is? The new location has a wood fence behind it and partial shade. It gets hit earlier by the sun to wake the bees the original location is very shady and get sun later on in the morning because it is really close to a 10 foot hedge and I always have to work it form the front because there is no rear access because of the hedge. Should I still move it to the spot of the old???

anything