Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: need some recomendations  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
need some recomendations
« on: October 02, 2013, 08:46:38 pm »
i have to go hang out with my MIL for almost 3 weeks.  she lives with my SIL, but my SIL is going to s. korea for the birth of her first grandchild.  i have tons of books downloaded, but i could use some movie recs.  google + has a great system and i can download movies for a smallish price.

any ideas would be great.  if you saw something in the last couple of years that you really liked, let me know!!

i have no idea what to do with that kind of time.  :-(
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Moots

Re: need some recomendations
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:26:04 pm »
I'm a Tarantino fan...
- Reservoir Dogs
-  Pulp Fiction
- Kill Bill Vol. 1,2 and 3
- Inglourious Basterds

Loved the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo Trilogy (original 2009/ Sweden)
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
-  The Girl who played with Fire
-  The Girl who kicked the Hornets' Nest

Lastly, a strange one, but a great one...
- Memento
Felt like I had been in a fist fight after watching this one....LOL!

Another option may be some miniseries, sure you've seen them, but if not....Two CLASSICS
- Lonesome Dove
- Band of Brothers

OR...some TV Series maybe....

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:27:41 pm »
thanks.  i have seen a couple of those but not all.  some might be on netflix also. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 03:52:45 am »
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy

Cheers
Steve

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 12:43:46 pm »
shucks kathy; just see how many you can put a bur under their saddle, i am getting bored. open the gate and sink in the spurs and go fo a hell of a  ride
to bee or not to bee

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 12:54:33 pm »
bud, i have been to busy to spur anyone, but things are getting quieter here.  now i'll have 3 weeks of nothing to do and i'm dreading it.  i can't stand sitting around...going to take the xbox360 and some blow-um up games and try not to go nuts.

hey, i have popped into ventrilo a bunch of times and no one is home.  you guy get on there any more?

anybrew, thanks.  have kept up with game of thrones, but not the other two.  that might keep me busy :-)

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 03:43:01 pm »
I saw "Drive" recently with Ryan Gossling I think is the actors name. My wife and I both thought it was a good movie though some parts you may have to squint or close your eyes on.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 11:58:39 pm »
Anything by Michael Moore.  :)

Maybe start with Sicko so you can get up to speed why this country needs something like Obamacare. X:X
Columbine is a wake up call that everybody should see. :'(
Fahrenheit 911 is a pretty good history lesson why to never vote for those guys again! :flyingpig:
Maybe finish up with Capitalism; a love story.  Lord knows beeks can never know too much about that subject. :laugh:

Sounds like a good time.  Wish I were there to enjoy them again too. :)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 12:25:55 am »
believe it or not, i have read and watched all but one of those.  then i researched what he had written.  to bad he didn't do the same before he wrote. 

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 06:32:56 am »
Does MIL have WIFI by chance and tv w/hdmi port? You could look into a device called Chromecast by google. I am not sure what all content it has available yet ,but it seems like a neat gadget, and not too expensive to give it a try.
http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#netflix

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 12:31:18 pm »
i think it's along the same lines as Roku.  have thought about it, but am packing two extra bags of electronic gadgets, so don't see how i can justify buying another :-D

BUT...and don't laugh, i bought a Go Go pillow and I love it.  it solves the problem of trying to prop up a tablet in bed when you are trying to read or watch a movie.  fits my ASUS transformer and my nook reader.  a handy person could easily make one, but i'm not that handy...at least with a sewing machine.

bet Liz could do it easily.  don't know if mabuzzbee sews?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 11:52:13 pm »
If I had 3 spare weeks with the MIL, I would (if at all possible) live in the other end of the house, turn on the MP3 so not to hear any other humans, and then enjoy catching up on some text books.  When tired of reading, I would see if they’re replaying the Stargate series on local TV, or just watch some tried and true movies I have enjoyed in the past.  I don’t really like surprises when relaxing.  I like comfortable. :) 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 01:41:20 am »
ya, just don't know if i can relax for 3 weeks.  found out there is a community center gym close by so i can work out.  also, house i near a lake and walking trail so if the weather is not horrible i can walk.  I'll figure it out.  will probably end up doing a bit of writing.  i am behind on some things that folks want, but haven't felt the spirit move me  :evil:

thanks guys.  i have already loaded some new books on and been scouting the movies.  it will all work out.  you can do anything for a specified period of time, right?

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 01:49:45 am »
Aw, there has to be somebody around there that has bees, just go visit, and see how they do things.  As far as movies the wife and I like Meg Ryan movies along with a lot of others.  They are new but we like em.  Good luck on your trip, and don't hit any deer. 

Joe

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 02:02:52 am »
Hmmmm….I wonder if the MIL will have internet? 

LOL, just think of all the debates I will win if you're gone for 3 weeks. :-D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 01:29:43 pm »
Good luck on your trip, and don't hit any deer. 

oh thanks.  i hadn't thought abou that.  i have a 3 hour drive through the coast range!

bluebee, i hate to burst your bubble but i will faster internet there than i have here.  i am taking 4 devices, all capable of keeping up with you and all my little leftist buddies!   :evil:

in fact, if this goes well, i may just stay for awhile!