Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings and hello!  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Obie

• New Bee
Greetings and hello!
« on: July 11, 2013, 09:52:16 pm »
Hello all, my name is Mark but I answer to Obie much faster.

I have been researching beekeeping for about a month now, I am very green on the subject of beekeeping and I am open to learning more.
I have been filling my head with information on YouTube and the web about various ways to start a hive and to create an apiary.

I know that I have a lot to learn, the subject of bees never really appealled to me until a little over a month ago when I decided to check it out. I dove into the deep end and just started becoming more and more facinated with different aspects of the lifestyle. From how to split a hive to prevent swarming to grafting eggs to rear queens. Not to mention the honey and other natural products that the bees create.

My last set of videos I watched were on diseases and parasites that bees can get as well as a few different ways to treat them. There is a lot of information and not too many organized ways of making sure one it getting the right information. I have looked at local bee societies in my area and I know I am kind of late to the game this year to follow through on start of the year exercises and all, but the long and short of it is that I have no place to build an apiary yet. So I am learning as much as I can about the academics of beekeeping so when I get ready to buy my first batch of bees, I will have a good bit of knowledge already.

So, bear with me. I will probably have a bunch of questions to ask. 
Obie
Newbee

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Greetings and hello!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:56:46 pm »
Welcome to the forum and get yourself some bees.  BTW, bee keeping is very addictive.  Ask away.

Moots

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:25:27 am »
Welcome to the forum Obie, you've stumbled across a great resource here, don't be afraid to use it.  :)

By the way, Allen is right..Beekeeping is VERY ADDICTIVE!

I caught the fever in late October, bought 2 Nucs mid January, thinking I'd do 2 to 3 hives this first year.  Next thing you know, I'm taking swam calls, doing a couple cut outs, building and ordering more equipment, etc. etc.

I currently find myself with 9 hives and 2 Nucs...and loving every minute of it!  :-D  BUT YES!  IT'S QUITE ADDICTIVE!  :laugh:

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 12:41:19 am »
Welcome to the forum, Obie.  There are several people here from Pa.  Check into a local bee club, they can bee a great help also.

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 09:05:37 am »
Welcome to the group. :bee:

Offline Obie

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 06:07:42 pm »
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I pretty much understand that this will be a wonderful addiction, having been a computer geek for the majority of my life, having something that will get me outside more and in the sun is a welcome addiction for me to have.

I have already resigned myself to getting swarm calls. Cutouts seem a bit overwhelming a concept for me... for now that is. :)
Be that as it may, until I move to some land that I own, I am not going to be able to buy any bees yet. I may start collecting equipment though once I have some extra money to do so.

I just really can't wait to start but patience is a big thing with dealing with bees, so I better get to learning that now while I can. :)
Obie
Newbee

anything