Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lets Talk Motors  (Read 15493 times)

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
Lets Talk Motors
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:04:41 pm »
What size motors do people use and what have they gotten them off of or purchased them from, to make an extractor variable speed and reversible. and I am not talking about using a drill.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Lets Talk Motors
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 06:18:51 pm »
Any small variable speed motor should work.   I have seen old ceiling fans used.  (free ones)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:22:10 pm »
And I saw an old treadmill motor used once also.

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 06:25:55 pm »
i was wondering if a ceiling fan would work, its reversible and variable speed, could probably hook a light dimmer switch on it to have better control of the speed. I have a 9 frame extractor now that is hand crank and not reversible. I bought it from dadant about 10 years ago. and really remember how much hand cranking sucks. and flipping the frames.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:37:27 pm »
When using a ceiling fan, they make a variable speed switch you just wire inline on the plug.

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 07:24:56 pm »
yea i saw the inline variable swith just dont know if a ceiling fan motor can support the weight of a 9 frame extractor or if it will burn up the motor. I just found this motor in one of my sheds, I mighnt be able to wire it up and use it.

Manufacturer: General Electric
Model Number:5KH43AB1252X
Horsepower:1/4
PH:1
RPM:1725
Volts:115
*Amps:4.6
**Cycles:60
Temp. Rise:40*C
Time Rating:Cont.
Code:M
SF:1.35
GEJ:435 WJ-D

can you make a motor revers and i mighnt be able to make this one variable speed.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 07:47:48 pm »
Ceiling fans are reversible.  They have a reversible switch on them.   When you tear out the motor, keep the switch inline with the wiring.   

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 09:04:40 pm »
well allen my father just called and a buddy of his has a 1/2hp motor with reverse and variable speed he is going to give me, It's nice when things work out with ease.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 09:21:15 pm »
The price sounds nice to me.

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 09:27:13 pm »
I thought so  too and i'd be big enough if i wanted to eventually get a larger extractor

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 07:07:56 pm »
Well OK then! But, next time you need one, Grainger Supply carries about every electric motor ever made I believe.  :-D

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 07:35:48 pm »
I use a treadmill motor (or at least I will when I get the extractor ready for it). They're powerful, infinitely variable, and free for the taking. How many 1-2 year old treadmills do you see sitting out for the trash?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 08:28:06 pm »
I don't think I ever saw one in the trash up here.   :-D

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 08:33:05 pm »
I bet I see them 3-4 times a week. More than that around 3 months after Christmas. I guess all the old retirees that come down here first decide to get into better beach body condition and, after trying a treadmill for a short while, decide they were happier when they were fat and lazy. :)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 11:07:30 pm »
motors that can be wired to rotate in ethier direction can be wired to a DRUM SWITCH
you will have stop the motor before you change direction-RDY-B
http://cgi.ebay.com/15Amp-Rain-Proof-Reversing-Drum-Switch-/250701879545?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5eff18f9

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 01:59:46 am »
I think reversible is unnecessary, but variable speed is important so you can start slow while the combs are heavy with honey but crank it up when they are almost dry so you can get the last of it out quickly.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 08:58:59 am »
I think??? my very dated abc-xyz will agree with mr bush's suggestion that reversing is unnecessary and speed control is essential.  don't treadmill motor have some kind of speed control?
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 09:11:34 am »
I bet I see them 3-4 times a week. More than that around 3 months after Christmas. I guess all the old retirees that come down here first decide to get into better beach body condition and, after trying a treadmill for a short while, decide they were happier when they were fat and lazy. :)

Scott
Same around here. Heck just at my own home about every 3 years bike treadmill bike treadmill. They go from the bed room too back deck then to the back of my pickup.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 02:26:30 pm »
reverse would be good for tangental-basket type-alow basket to swing freely and basket will flop -changeing direction and -which side of frame is on the outside with rotation direction-years ago they made a 8 frame extractor (buy life time i think ) the thing is the size of  a 60 frame radial-antque these days-anyway this machine had this advantage -also they make this type of machine to extract MANUKA honey which is very low in moisture content and hard to extract--spins one way for short time --then spins another way for short time-baskets flop each time direction changes
  :) RDY-B
Extracting thixotropic Manuka honey with Beetech Honeysucker Extractor and Hummer Spinfloat centrifuge

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 02:51:26 pm »

Scott

Business Op Knocking at the Door

USED Extractor Motors For sale
 Motors are checked and ran before Shipped
 Prices starting  29.95 plus a small shipping fee 99.95  :roll:

Sold too you By
 "Dumpster Diving Daytona Dot Com" :-D
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln