Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey House.  (Read 4212 times)

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Honey House.
« on: February 27, 2013, 12:48:05 am »
Need some input. Planning on a honey house. Would like to know how many of you have a separate building for this, if so, what size.
I am thinking it should be big enough to hold sale goods. Stack a few boxes of honey in while waiting for extracting at the same time drawing the humidity  down when a few cells are not capped. D-2

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Honey House.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:47:44 am »
I don't have one yet either.  Would like it to be big enough for extractor, several supers to be extracted, a place for and hold cappings, a tank to put honey into, a sink and bar for filling jars, and possibly another room for cases of new jars, empty and full ones.  Heating and airconditioning.  The size would also have to fit your operation.  Thought I had one, a used portable building, then the fellow backed out of selling it.  Hope this helps and maybe someone else can give you a better idea.

Joe

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:33:22 am »
I have a 30 X 40 with a 8 X 12 hot room, 3 basin sink, 300 gallon milk tank, 60 gallon and 15 gallon bottling tanks, 2 kelly wax melters, a cook and beals decapper, a maxant 30 frame extractor, maxant clarifier and a pump.   I store around 200 supers stacked 15 high and about 50 hive bodies.   It is a 3 year old building.  It is way to small for me

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:03:27 pm »
I don't have a honey house either but we are planning on building a new house on our farm and I might end up using our present home as a honey house. It is 1850 sq ft plus 400 sq ft of garage. I am hoping to take it off the tax rolls and convert it to agricultural.
I will probably have to remove a couple of walls.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 02:49:44 pm »
Mine's only 20'x30' but all I have in there is a sink and the extracting/bottling equipment. I have a 40' storage container (connex) for storing supers and a barn for other stuff.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 03:35:26 pm »
I also have a 60 X 60 barn and store anything I dont need to worry about mice finding.   Bottom boards, feeders covers and such.   I really could use a mouse proof storage container

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 05:24:31 pm »
Danno, look into buying storage containers around you. I bought mine, a 40' "high cube" aluminum connex for $1,200.00 with gasketed doors including delivery.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 11:35:47 pm »
They are getting hard to find around here, wouldn't mind getting a couple.  Katrina got my old big barn and some of a smaller one.  No ins. on them and no help for them.  Built new building,30 x 50, behind house, close enough to add to house ins.  it's full now.

Joe

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 07:57:47 pm »
  Every beekeeper needs a good Dolly in the honey house-- ;)  RDY-B

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 08:13:59 pm »
I have a eldery  beekeeper in my area.  last year was his last.    he has 2 semi trailers.  they should be cheap but the tires are either flat or square. 

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 08:24:58 pm »
Trailers are up high. You might get to resenting that after a while unless you can put them on a loading dock sort of setup. I'd vote for containers.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 08:40:33 pm »
RDY-B, they could all use a good dolly even if they don't have a honey house yet.  I use mine to move boxs, honey supers,empty and full, as a stand when doing inspections.  As you take a super or brood box off just have dolly on 4 wheels to stack them on and then reassemble hive.  After get a good one its like having a four wheeler, you wonder how you got along without it.

Joe

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 08:41:03 pm »
Trailers are up high. You might get to resenting that after a while unless you can put them on a loading dock sort of setup. I'd vote for containers.
No arguments here except money

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 09:15:11 pm »
**they could all use a good dolly even if they don't have a honey house yet.**

I am speaking in terms of blond or brunete-- ;) -and yes you are right when you move bees
 its more fun when you bring your dolly-- :lol: 8-) --Rdy-B

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 08:56:58 am »
**they could all use a good dolly even if they don't have a honey house yet.**

I am speaking in terms of blond or brunete-- ;) -and yes you are right when you move bees
 its more fun when you bring your dolly-- :lol: 8-) --Rdy-B
Your right I got my Dolly years before I built my honey house.   Doesn't work for moving bee's but comes in handy for a huge list  other stuff

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 10:52:17 am »
My SBB are 3/4 plywood.  When I cut the hole for the screen, that piece fits tight in the back of the dolly and has been holding the hive.  I just have to set the hive off the stand onto dolly and go. 

Joe

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 02:35:09 pm »
No arguments here except money

If they are cheap enough the axles and dollies can be removed and the trailer set on the ground

anything