Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from PA  (Read 2220 times)

Offline beeboy10

• New Bee
Hello from PA
« on: May 05, 2009, 10:50:29 am »
Hi, I am a 10 year old homeschooler. I learned about bee keeping from my friends father last summer and have been very interested in them ever since.My dad and I are building my first box and there are a few bee keepers in the community who are helping me get started. I want to learn as much as I can about beekeeping.I hope for this to be something I can do for life. 

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Hello from PA
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:37:18 am »
Hello and Welcome beeboy10
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Have fun with your new hobbie
Johnny 

Offline Tom Cannon

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:14:54 pm »
Hi beeboy10,
Your going to have fun. Any questions you have, just ask away. Their are  very helpfull folks on this board. I just joined a few days ago and after asking a couple of questions, i don't feel like i'm guessing at what i should do next.
Good luck and enjoy,
Tom

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 12:41:08 pm »
Hello and Welcome!

I've been mentoring a couple of 4-H kids about your age. One of them won blue ribbons at the County and State fair last year for her bee project.

This forum is a good place to learn more about bees and beekeeping, but keep in mind you'll read lots of different opinions. Sometimes it can be a bit confusing to a beginner. Glad to see that your dad's friend will be there to help guide you.

Be sure to check out the "Backyard Beekeeping Course" on the main Beemaster page. There's a lot of good info there. Also, update your profile to include your location. Much of beekeeping is "location specific", and we'll be able to help you better if we know where you are.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:16:58 pm »
I also started out when I was 10.  I found a swarm hanging on a hawthorne tree and an old Barber, 86 at the time, had me hive it and gave it to me.  He then spent the next 6 years trying to teach me everything he had learned in 60 years of beekeeping, that was 50 years this month.  Get it in your blood young and it stays in your blood forever, in the future, regardless of what you do, beekeeping will always have a special place and it is something you'll find yourself going back to when opportunity presents itself.

Good luck, I wish you could find a mentor like I had.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 08:03:54 pm »
Beeboy10.  Welcome to our forum, great you found us.  We will be that help that you need that you can get over the cyberspace.  You have lots to learn, and being so young, you will be able to learn quickly, and retain the knowledge that will be yours.  As Brian Bray was saying, the beekeeping will be in your blood, from now until then, it is the near same that I say, and that is that you will be held under the spell of the honeybee, you will be theirs, and they will be yours. 

Stick around, young fellow.  This will be a place where you will love to spend time, it is a place that you can tell us your stories, tales and experiences.  You will also make many new friends.  There are several young people on our forum.  We will listen, we will help you, you will feel at home....have that wonderful day, to love and live our life, and....health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service