Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lifetime shed for my mini honey house  (Read 4194 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
Lifetime shed for my mini honey house
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:15:26 am »
what ya think , I am thinking of the 15 x 8 model

wife want her dinning room back .....go figure

Offline ScoobyDoBee

• New Bee
Re: Lifetime shed for my mini honey house
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:13:54 am »
Is "lifetime" a brand? I need one too. Hubby wanting garage back - go figure. Lol. Don't know anything about sheds but what little I've read. Maybe better to go 10x12??? 8 seems narrow based totally on No Clue! Anxious to read these responses! Thanks for the post.
- ScoobyDoBee
Get high on life - smoke some bees!

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:25:38 am »
I'm going to (eventually) get a shipping container to use for my honey house.

My plan is to have the extractor in the back corner, Freezer in the other back corner, roller belt down one side to roll supers down to uncapping station, uncapping station in front of extractor. This arrangement will probably change before I get the container, but it will be something like that.

I decided to use container because they are pretty well sealed, they are cheap compared to a shed and concrete slab, and they are pretty portable.
Shane

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:09:17 pm »

My plan is to have the extractor in the back corner, Freezer in the other back corner, roller belt down one side to roll supers down to uncapping station, uncapping station in front of extractor. This arrangement will probably change before I get the container, but it will be something like that.

A word of advise;
Cut out a number of roof vents, a few windows etc.,have a few good size fans !

If you have ever spent much time working inside of a shipping container in 90 degree + weather you will know what 120 degrees is with no air movement. Also that metal gets darn cold during the winter.

Bee- Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline ScoobyDoBee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 01:44:05 pm »
Ok, i googled lifetime shed and it IS a brand name.  Looks GREAT! Wonder what kind of talent is needed to assemble - do you know anything about that?
- ScoobyDoBee
Get high on life - smoke some bees!

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:56:03 pm »

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 02:30:57 pm »
what ya think , I am thinking of the 15 x 8 model

wife want her dinning room back .....go figure

they have better sheds made from wood --with over head storage space-- :lol:

http://www.shedsforlessdirect.com/best-barns-clarion-14x10-wood-storage-shed-p-530.html

RDY-B

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 03:36:40 pm »
I would look into one of the wooden ones. No less that 10 foot wide. Around here you can get the rent own sheds, they haul in by truck and drop them where you want it. Then you just need to finish the interior. that might be a better option anf no concrete slab required. I would agree on windows and roof vents no matter I got.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 06:21:02 pm »
I don't think that is big enough.   Think about by the time you put the frig and big screen TV in that shed.  It is going to get crowded up quick. 

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 07:04:57 pm »
I don't think that is big enough.   Think about by the time you put the frig and big screen TV in that shed.  It is going to get crowded up quick. 
In my experience, no shed is ever big enough, no matter how big it is. I think I could have an aircraft hanger big enough for a 747 and still run out of room  :-D
Nice shed by the way.
Paul.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 07:25:04 pm »

A word of advise;
Cut out a number of roof vents, a few windows etc.,have a few good size fans !

If you have ever spent much time working inside of a shipping container in 90 degree + weather you will know what 120 degrees is with no air movement. Also that metal gets darn cold during the winter.

Bee- Bop

That's what the aircon is for  ;)
Shane

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 07:56:51 pm »

yeah they make an 11x21 but i know my wife won't got for that....LOL

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 11:31:45 pm »

I decided to use container because they are pretty well sealed, they are cheap compared to a shed and concrete slab, and they are pretty portable.

i like the roller belt idea! :)

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 01:42:38 am »
If you have ever spent much time working inside of a shipping container in 90 degree + weather you will know what 120 degrees is with no air movement.

Hear Hear!  I used to work in a Tractor Trailer repair shop.  It's hot, dirty, and you have to wear leathers or long sleeves to keep from getting burned by the welding sparks.  Maybe you could get one of the refrigerator trucks.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Mike Tuggle

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 10:33:58 am »
 :)  LIFETIME has awesome products and awesome service.  Checkout BuyLifetime.com.

I assembled one of their 10x16 models a couple of years ago in the Adirondack Mountains.  Only use it for storage but had no damage at all from heavy snowload (using their truss-reinforcement kit).  For strength, be sure to use a gable-end entrance, not a side entrance.

Assembly tips:  the base must be "dead-on" level and flat to ensure all the panels line up.  You can do it on the ground with a gravel and sand base or, like it did on irregular ground on a 2x6 and plywood platform.

Tools: Phillips screwdriver or bit on a drill.  Level and carpenters square.

Finally, if you poke around, you can find the assembly instructions as a pdf on the Lifetime Web site.