Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Allan Buckley's packaging device  (Read 15443 times)

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Allan Buckley's packaging device
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:58:19 pm »
I spent the day with Allan yesterday playing with the device he has invented to get packages out of hives. He  can put that thing on a hive and between 7 to 8 min. have a package of bees out leaving the queen in the hive  and only taking the cover off the hive. We did it with 4 hives and it worked great at around 70 degrees and a pretty good brease blowing. All were on wagons , with the hives almost touching and he did not disturb any other hive. Allan has been working on this over a year and the little quirks kept poping up. He now has it figured out and it works.
to bee or not to bee

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Allan Buckley's packaging device
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 09:53:00 pm »
That's great news Bud! I can't wait to see it in action. It's good to know he finally figured out the breeze issue (or did it turn out to be something else?).

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 10:19:34 pm »
what is it -a smoke up box-RDY-B

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 01:10:04 am »
I've heard this method described...definitely a great idea and sounds smart.

I'd be most curious to see an analysis of the age of the bees that end up in the package (and compare to some conventionally produced packages).  To me, this seems to be the most likely pitfall (if there is one).

deknow

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 01:48:24 am »
I've heard this method described...definitely a great idea and sounds smart.

I'd be most curious to see an analysis of the age of the bees that end up in the package (and compare to some conventionally produced packages).  To me, this seems to be the most likely pitfall (if there is one).

deknow
describe the method-RDY-B

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 10:09:42 am »
Show us pics and videos too.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:35:10 am »
It's basically a fume pad with a little electric fan that blows bee go/bee quick in the hive entrance and a modified top that the bees boil out of and into a package cage.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 10:47:11 am »
A video will be coming soon folks. Should be posted here. I will put it on my site as well. I'm very happy for Alan, he finally got a chance to work the quirks out.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 10:47:55 am »
How to make sure not to take the queen, or do you still have to find her frame first?

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 10:35:30 pm »
Queen excluder on top of hive! I can just about guarantee that not all the bees will vacate the hive. Never do with fume boards; they won't leave brood. But should get a bunch for a package. Will this thing be marketed?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 02:40:21 pm »
Queen excluder on top of hive! I can just about guarantee that not all the bees will vacate the hive. Never do with fume boards; they won't leave brood. But should get a bunch for a package. Will this thing be marketed?

That is correct.

Queen excluder on top.

This should be used only on a big booming hive as bees really don't want to leave brood.

Alan is trying to get the ball rolling and put his invention out on the market very soon.

I wish him the best!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 09:05:09 pm »
glad scot and jp answered youall as i have ben out of town for a few days. you wil get a god adv. on the bees as most of the foragers are out
to bee or not to bee

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 03:14:39 pm »
Alright folks here is the video. I will be out of town for a few days after this post. I will answer any questions that come my way when I get back in.

Here's the skinny: Bud and Alan tried it out at Bud's with the new improvements and minor tweaking Alan put on the device with great success.

Alan came down my way and we used the device in one of my bee yards and put together this video.

A small hand full of us have seen the invention and how it works and give it two thumbs way up!

Alan's contact info is at the end of the video but I'll also mention it here as well.

...JP

Alan Bukley
P.O. Box 653
Rainsville, Al 35986

E-mail: mountainvalleybees@yahoo.com

mountainvalleybees.com

Honey Bee Packaging Device:

Honey Bee Packaging Device From Mountain Valley Bees

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 03:56:03 pm »
That's brilliant.   

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 04:19:41 pm »
Looks good to me also. What does it run off of, a 12 volt battery or the battery pack? did not understand that part.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 04:36:48 pm »
Looks good to me also. What does it run off of, a 12 volt battery or the battery pack? did not understand that part.

It will run off of a battery pack that holds 8 "AA" batteries or right from a 12 volt battery from a vehicle.

...JP

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 04:52:57 pm »
JP, thanks for posting that! I actually just got off the phone with Alan to give him a big ol' congratulations and promised I'd let you know that I thought you did a great job on the video for him!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 05:26:50 pm »
Very nice invention.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 06:05:25 pm »
  I wonder if you did away with the bee go and put some   menthol in the smoker-and used the device to blow the smoke in--if it would perfome as well as with the bee go-wonder about weighing the packages - :)  RDY-B

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 06:10:57 pm »
I am usually on ventrillo every evning and will try ad answer most of youalls questions there
to bee or not to bee