Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drones + More Drones  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
Drones + More Drones
« on: June 26, 2007, 08:06:38 pm »
Alright, I recently checked in a hive, it has around 30% population all drones. Also, the overall bee population just seems miniscule. I didn't see ANY eggs in any cells, and i requeened a week ago. What to do?

Jake

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Drones + More Drones
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 08:24:49 pm »
any larvae? 

i read an article about 2 months about that gave requeening about a 50% chance of success.  that seems low to me, but it still gives the idea that requeening can be a crap shoot.

if she got a chance to lay at all, they may make a new queen.  anything that looks like a queen cell?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:00:43 pm »
nope, no queen cells at all. No eggs at all, I don't believe they have had a queen in almost 2 weeks now.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 10:28:55 pm »
There are NOT laying workers.

There is no larvae, and no eggs AT ALL.

Jake

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:47:16 pm »
sounds like your queen didnt take? laying worker colony is more dificult to re queen.try the methods with adding brood before you get to that point.(I know you dont have laying worker hive yet but it is broodless makes a differance) where did you say all those drones came from anyway.catch it before workers start to lay is all i am driving at. ;) let us know what the out come is these things are always very interresting.RDY-B

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:59:27 pm »
i agree with rdy-b. try to add some brood as quickly as possible.

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 11:36:04 am »
Alright, i forgot to inform you guys that this is the colony that swarmed around a month ago. I caught the swarm, but it didn't take to my new hive, and they absconded. So, i'll try adding a couple frames of brood and add a new queen?

Jake

anything