Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: non-3 leaf seedlings???! White Dutch clover/Crimson clover-confused!  (Read 5363 times)

Offline SerenaSYH

• House Bee
Everyone this is puzzling me. Normally every year under the maple nothing grows (banked soil rimmed by pavers). This 2011 in mid-April I sowed bunches of Crimson clover at first. A week later, I sprinkled tons of Dutch white clover into the soil. I've got the same uniform 2-leaf sprouts everywhere! Today I was preoccupied and forgot to take photos but tomorrow I will. I tried googling for clover seedlings, but they suuuuure don't look like mine. Mine are distinctly 2-leafers  :? I am so confused! It's been 2 weeks and still their appearance hasn't changed whatsoever. They still look like ultra itsy bitsy alfalfa sprouts with absolutely no neck to them, lol.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
If I'm not mistaken clover sprouts are two-leafers.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
http://organicsproutingseeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/clover-sprouts.jpg

Here's an image I found of "Clover Sprouts" It's common for all new seedlings to have two little starter leaves regardless of the species. It's just a common strategy.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Not your original question, but I find that some lime helps when getting things to grow under trees...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline SerenaSYH

• House Bee
Wow, you guys are the greatest! I didn't even have to post my photos and I already got super advice from you all. MrILoveAnts thanks so much for the great photo link! those look exactly like my seedlings and I'm relieved to know that it's clover! A picture paints a thousand IDs lol! Thanks James too. And Michael that is fantastic advice. All I've ever been told by my lawn treatment company is, hey, spend a couple of hundred dollars with us and we'll add the soil and the seed under your tree so stuff can grow, lol! instead of this nice advice about adding lime to help things along. Saves me beaucoup bu,cks Michael! That way I can add my own soil and the lime incrementally on my own and take things at my own pace....Much thanks!

Cheers to everyone! I am so excited about the clover! and I'm eager to see them bloom! Clover is actually a rarity in my neighborhood! Instead what we have is the dratted crabgrass and dandelions and nut sedge and a plant that looks like a "false clover" - it has 3 leaves shaped like clover and these tiny limp, yellow flowers in it that honeybees never visit. It's pretty annoying that this false clover is everywhere whereas the real clover isn't. I think it's called yellow wood sorrel....

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
Yes, lime helps as well as Nitrogen. A good dose of lime and nitrogen, and your clover will explode!!

anything