Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Garage Roof or in Trees  (Read 8745 times)

Offline Butterchurn

• New Bee
Garage Roof or in Trees
« on: March 29, 2005, 11:07:03 am »
I found a location for my bees.  A co-worker said I could keep bees at his house.  Very beautiful next to a wildlife preserve.  

Anyhow, he has a flat garage roof where he said I could put hives or a side lot that gets partial sun due to dense tree growth on his property.  The garage roof gets sun much of the day, but has a black rubber covering which I assume will become quite hot in summer.  The other location will get much less sun.

If you were me, where would you put them?

Thanks.

Ron
Butterchurn (Ron)

Offline firetool

• House Bee
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 11:15:29 am »
If I where you I would do the roof. I would just make sure that I put them up on somthing so the air could move under the hive and keep the hot air to a lower level. Like cender blockes or a wooden frame of some sort. I would think that where you live it should not get to hot. I don't think I would try it down here though. It does get to hot around here.These are just my thoughts I am sure there are other thoughts on the matter though.

Good luck,

Brian

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 12:14:29 pm »
I keep hives on a black shingled roof (because of bear) without issue.  The roof is not flat, so I built stands for the hives to be level and allow air circulation under them.  I would sugest getting them at least 8-12 inches above the roof and allow air circulation under them.  I also provide SBB and upper venilation boxes, though not because of the roof.  I do this for all my hives.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 02:22:52 pm »
you could also spread white gravel under and around the hives, to reduce the amount of heat taken up by the roof.  I'm sure your friend wouldn't mind, as this would keep the building cooler too!  Also, be sure to paint your hives white under these conditions!

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 02:41:40 pm »
I think the roof is a good idea, especially in areas that have bears.  Will you have to go up and down on a ladder? Because carying a 50 lb super full of honey will be a challenge.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Butterchurn

• New Bee
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 02:46:25 pm »
There are stairs going up to the roof.  I will have to be careful carrying supers, etc. but not as bad as climbing a ladder.

There is the possibility of bears in the area, so the roof is attractive if for no other reason.

I got a can of mistinted paint from Lowes for $5.00.  It is a very light shade of grey.  I think it will be OK.

Ron
Butterchurn (Ron)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 03:19:34 pm »
Quote from: Butterchurn
There are stairs going up to the roof.  I will have to be careful carrying supers, etc. but not as bad as climbing a ladder.

Lucky you...  I have to use a ladder,  and needless to say I've made a few fall trying to carry too much stuff..

There is the possibility of bears in the area, so the roof is attractive if for no other reason.

Be foreworned, the roof does deter bear, but does not prevent them entirely.  Occasionally you will find a very energetic bear.  Trust me, they can climb up the corner of a building AND get over a roof overhang.

Imagine my surprise seeing a bear on the roof geting ready to help himself to my hives :shock:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Butterchurn

• New Bee
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 05:31:58 pm »
Robo,

Hopefully I won't have to deal with bears.  It is my co-worker's house, so I hope he doesn't wake to a bear trying to get into his house through the sliding glass door.  

Ron
Butterchurn (Ron)

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 06:44:22 pm »
He'll be looking for toast to go with his honey!! :lol:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline firetool

• House Bee
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 01:26:14 am »
You guyes with all the bear problems. I have a solution for you. If you will pay for a bear tag for my self and my wife. We would be happy to come and get rid of the bear for you. We don't have bear down here. We would love it. Some states have spring seasons and most have fall seasons. The fall would be better for us. I am only half kidding.LOL

I would try to make a pully for the roofs to move the hives around.

Robo have you ever fallen off the roof. I hope the bees never get after you so bad that they distract you and you fall off there.lol :lol:

Brian

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 07:33:42 am »
Trust me,  there are plenty of others that try to take care of the bear issue.  5-6 bear are taken out of this valley every fall.

I have only fallen by slipping off the later, usually when i have an super under one arm and my tool box under the other.  Man would a third hand come in handy some times.  Luckily it is only 8 feet.

For the real heavy stuff like hive moves, we use the front bucket of a backhoe.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 09:11:09 am »
Firetool had a great Idea Robo. Rig up a pole on the side of the house, exrend an arm off of it that swivles and place a pully on the end of the are. Run a rope through the pully and tie your stuff to the end of the rope. Swing it out away from the house and lower the stuff to the ground.

We really would want to hear about you breaking your neck.

That is suppose to be "would not". Not wanting to wish you any bad luck.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 11:21:28 am »

Anyhow, he has a flat garage roof

but has a black rubber covering which I assume will become quite hot in summer.  
If you were me, where would you put them?

Thanks.Ron

Never! Many reasons.

Hive will be weigtt  200-300 lbs

You must carry all stuff upp and down. Can you imagine more painfull.

And if you need some tool, you must go upp and down.

I often use wheelbarrow when I move stuff. Langstroth box full of honey weights  60 lbs.

Place is windy?

I suppose that roof rubber  it not mentioned to walk ?

How is is possible that that is only place?

Offline Butterchurn

• New Bee
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 11:40:05 am »
Finsky,

The rubber on the roof is very thick and durable and can be walked on without damage.

There is another spot on the property, but it is very shady being in the shaddow of the forest most of the day.  It is ground level, though.

Some people have told me the shade doesn't matter, but others tell me the honey harvest will be less and the bees more susceptible to diseases because of the moisture.  They say put in sun.  So I'm not sure what is right.  Chalkbrood is common up here and I assume the cool damp conditions in the shade would increase my chances of chalkbrood.

People have said varroa like the shade and dampness better than sun.

I don't know.

Ron
Butterchurn (Ron)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 02:26:24 pm »
Some people have told me the shade doesn't matter, but others tell me the honey harvest will be less and the bees more susceptible to diseases because of the moisture.  They say put in sun.  So I'm not sure what is right.  Chalkbrood is common up here and I assume the cool damp conditions in the shade would increase my chances of chalkbrood.

I have had hives in forest shadow and yield droped to half.

Also chalkbrood likes shadow.

But if world has only two point, is it possible to put 100 m or 1000 m to some direction?

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 04:11:36 pm »
Quote from: Jerrymac
Rig up a pole on the side of the house, exrend an arm off of it that swivles and place a pully on the end of the are. Run a rope through the pully and tie your stuff to the end of the rope. Swing it out away from the house and lower the stuff to the ground.

We really would want to hear about you breaking your neck.

What like this? From an insurance claim form..... <chuckle>

Dear Sir:

I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block 3 of the accident report form. I put "poor planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six story building. When I completed my work, I found that I had some bricks left over which, when weighed later were found to be slightly in excess of 500 lbs.

Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley, which was attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope, holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the bricks.

You will note in Block 11 of the accident report form that I weigh 175lbs.

Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel which was now proceeding downward at an equal, impressive speed. This explained the fractured skull, minor abrasions and the broken collar bone, as listed in section 3 of the accident report form.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley.Fortunately this time I was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of beginning to experience a great deal of pain.

At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, that barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs. I refer you again to my weight.

As you can imagine, I began a rapid descent, down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and several lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks, in pain, unable to move, I must have lost my presence of mind and let go of the rope and I lay there watching the empty barrel begin its journey back down onto me. This explains the two broken legs.

I hope this answers your inquiry."

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 04:35:35 pm »
I needed a good laugh.......and that did it.   Thanks.....

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 06:35:29 pm »
I had seen that before but forgot about it. Luckily I have never had a day quite that bad.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2005, 09:00:24 am »
Hives on garage roof.

click image for larger view

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Garage Roof or in Trees
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2005, 11:07:55 pm »
could you put like a trellace over it? bye :D
Ryan Horn