Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: finally got into the hive, and out  (Read 2698 times)

Offline bill

• House Bee
finally got into the hive, and out
« on: April 04, 2005, 06:50:31 pm »
well I guess you guys would have had a laugh just now I finally got my new smoker going with paper mache eggcartons and opened the hive I got last winter I knew it had not been opened in a long time . it was a real mess but i was getting on all right except I lost my gloves  I thought well noone else ever wears them on the video so I don't need them. anyway I smoked them and got it opened up I got the first couple of frames out with a little difficulty but about the fourth frame the nails started coming out, and the smoker went out i guess I was so busy I forgot to pump it enough I put the broken frames in a body I was going to use for nucs so maybe I can fix them i think there was just stores and honey. anyway with the smoker out I just kept going cause I was fascinated there were a few queen cells and quite a few drone cells I think the queen cells were old. any way I know I have a queen that  was bortn in the hive as apposed to a bought one heck she is probably about the third one. there was a huge number of bees and they got kinda mad and i started to get hit on the hand and I got real tired  I am going to rest a while and go back   I just put the lid on it and left.
billiet

Offline bill

• House Bee
later
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 07:53:55 pm »
well I got back out there and finished the upper bodyput in about six foundation frames. the beejacket worked  but I dont think the smoker helped much I need to get some burlap or something that puts out more smoke . I didnt see the queen but the drones were easy to recognize I will do the bottom half tomorrow maybe, what a rush.   lol
billiet

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 08:41:10 pm »
I used to have a smoker like that.  Then I made this and put in it.  Now it doesn't go out anymore.  :)

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bush/images/SmokerInsert3.jpg
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 08:58:37 pm »
Sounds like a fun time Bill - I know I have went into the hive with good intentions and before you know it, I do something stupid and agrivate them big time. I find it best to retreat and rethink a better plan.

The worse incident in resent years was forcing a frame back in the hive AFTER it had been out about a week - I just plain forgot I had removed it. When I went to PUSH it back in place, it wouldn't fit (dummy here) starts tapping the frame down with the handle end of a hammer THINKING it might not distrub them as much - I was a sorry looking thing by time THAT frame was back in the hive.

Sounds like everything will be fine though - keep us posted on finding the queen but look for young larva and eggs too - finding the queen isn't always necessary, but always sweet to find!!!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.