Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is best for suppers ?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
What is best for suppers ?
« on: March 01, 2010, 12:38:38 pm »
What size frames and boxes are best for suppers? What are pros and cons? Lg. or Meds. ?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:51:07 pm by Joelel »
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Bee Whisper82

• House Bee
Re: What is best for suppers ?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:50:29 pm »
Well I use shallows on my hives.  The pros of having shallows vs mediums is that the shallows full of honey weighs in at about 40 to 60 pounds and the mediums around 70 to 80 pounds it is easier to carry the shallows then the mediums. 

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 12:55:34 pm »
What about spinning honey out of Lg.? Pros and cons?
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 01:06:36 pm »
What are pros and cons when using natural drawn foundations in Lg. ?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 01:17:10 pm »
you'll need an extractor that takes deep frames.  deeps full of honey would be very, very, heavy.

if you are going to use naturally drawn comb in your honey supers, i would think that shallows or mediums would be more secure.  they do a fine job with the shallows.  that's how i do it.  maybe someone has tried the deeps........

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 01:38:38 pm »
Whoa, you don't want to be humping deeps that are full of honey!  Mediums and shallows are best from a weight standpoint.  Just to get an idea of the weight, try lifting a deep this fall that has been packed with winter stores.

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 03:51:31 pm »
I understand the weight part of it,70-100 lbs. difference.I'm mostly concerned about the spinning honey out of deep frames with only wire or fishing in the natural draw en foundations. Will the comb stay in the frames when spinning honey out ?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 12:26:42 am »
There are only three real issues:

What sized frames will the extractor take?
Are you cutting it for comb honey and if so what size?
How much do you want to lift?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 12:34:49 am »
IT DIDN't take long for me to go from a deep to a medium super. the deep weighted 95lbs.for me the mediums is the way to go.
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 01:17:08 am »
IT DIDN't take long for me to go from a deep to a medium super. the deep weighted 95lbs.for me the mediums is the way to go.

I'll echo this statement.  Lifting full deeps flat out sucks.  Especially if they are stacked high.  Multiply that with numerous hives and it makes for a long day.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 08:49:14 am »
If you have only an "x" wired up in deep frames, and you try extracting, you will have more blowouts than you would with mediums or shallows.  The nice thing is that you have extract 30% fewer frames.

I'd suggest keeping the deeps for brood.  Then you don't have to lift them or extract them.
Rick

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 09:04:09 am »
Agree with Scads.  Use deeps for brood and mediums/shallows for honey.  OR use all mediums for brood and honey as many beeks have already done!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 01:02:10 am »
So,You people don't pull the honey frames from the suppers in the field and shake the bees off ? You just take bees and suppers to the work shed ?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 02:22:17 am »
You don't want to take them with bees in them.  But if you take the honey when the nights are cool and you get them in the morning, they will be clustered below and not in the supers.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 07:14:44 am »
What is best for suppers  :?  FULL ONE :-D

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:34:37 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 10:14:25 pm »
I'll even go one step farther. I am going to make some 5 frame "harvest" supers. Just take out what is filled and capped and put M-T's back in their place. Medium style. Get a 5 frame box full, close it good and start on another if need be.
I am going to long boxes. My back is getting no better. "Arthritis" in my back. Degenerative Vertebra.
I also have "trick Knee". :roll: :)doak

anything