Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rifle Hunters ?  (Read 9606 times)

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
Rifle Hunters ?
« on: December 03, 2009, 03:13:57 pm »
Has any Rifle Hunters had any luck ? So far the rifle season has been uneventful. I passed up on a couple smaller bucks in hopes of something nice and to let the kids have some better chances to tag one. Has anyone seen this guys beautiful deer pics ?

The story is that the owner of Cabela's
 paid him $13,000 for the head and hide.

Offline John Lee Pettimore

• House Bee
Re: Rifle Hunters ?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 03:36:26 pm »
Appaloosa/Whitetail cross??? 8-)
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 08:33:42 am »
There are always a few piebalds taken in Michigan every year.   Back in the mid 70's I got one with only one small patch of brown on the rump

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 09:54:04 am »
Deer looked like he had his snow camo on

Keith

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 10:53:23 am »
I've only seen one piebald in person, it was a large spike with a large white patch on its rump and side. It wasn't a pretty deer.

The one pictured is one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen a picture of. I'd be willing to bet this animal will be full body mounted, its beautiful!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 07:17:00 pm »
Your not kidding about that guys deer being beautiful. It is no brainer for a mount in anyones trophy room. It is a tasty offer but unless I was hard up and needed the cash I would have to decline Cabela's offer. You just don't get one that pretty very often. I see three different pieballs around my place in our clover fields they all have very little colored spots and the rest all white. We will not shoot them just because they are neat to look at. Just as it is getting dark they glow with the least amount of moon light. I nicknamed them, Casper's Family. The one hangs out near the white bee hives in another set of fields near our orchard trees. When it is Dawn or Dusk the only thing that you can see is the hives and old Casper, 1/2 before it is light enough to see any other deer.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 08:02:15 pm »
I had the chance to shoot a piebald doe once.  I was a guest at another club and did not know how they would feel about me bagging it, so I let it walk. Later at the camp I was told that I should have killed it because it tainted the gene pool. True?

By the way, she was beautiful.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 08:09:38 pm »
because it tainted the gene pool

why?  does the meat taste different?

we had some deer here that were marked like paint ponies.  i have not seen them for a couple of years.  i'm sure someone couldn't resist those unusual hides.  they were something to see, and i miss them.  still.....once they were in the pot, i'm sure they tasted the way all deer do.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 08:18:28 pm »
I had the chance to shoot a piebald doe once.  I was a guest at another club and did not know how they would feel about me bagging it, so I let it walk. Later at the camp I was told that I should have killed it because it tainted the gene pool. True?

By the way, she was beautiful.

Steve
Yes, they were probably correct. If you ever observe the growth as they become of mature age you will notice that they are normally a bit smaller. That being said, I also know that from the ones I have seen that breed with good genes of another group provide, unique color markings on the hide and the offspring seem to be of normal size. One of the pieballs around my house had a fawn this year that was of totally normal colors and was soon to be equal in size of mom as spots started to fade.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 12:11:58 pm »
We have a total albino roaming our area.  So far, it has been protected by everyone.  I'd like to think that's due to me spreading the word that in my culture it is considered a sacred animal, a messenger from the Creator, but it's more likely that people just like to watch it.   :-\

Offline Titus

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 02:06:04 pm »
I got this piebald doe season before last in KY.  I didn't notice any genetic deformaties besides the color.  The meat was the same as a regular deer.  I tanned the hide to save it :)

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 08:56:33 pm »

Here is a couple of pics. of one that is hanging out in our fields.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 04:11:39 am »
Years ago i probably would have let a deer like that walk just so i could see it another day.  That being said the fact that my neighbor let's every Tom, Dick, and Harry hunt on his place i now take anything i get the chance to shoot within the law of course.  I figure if the deer are thinned out enough i won't be running every Tom, Dick, and Harry off our farm that doesn't know what a posted sign or a fence means.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Pillpeddler

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 11:32:38 pm »
I think its a recessive trait, doesnt hurt anything except the critters chance of making it thru gun season.  Without snow they sure stand out...  my brother had his picture taken at a taxidermist place where he had the most beautiful piebald buck I have ever seen...   solid white at the top of its back and dappled into solid brown legs, it was a very well racked 10 pointer also.   The full body mount was unbelievably beautiful.