Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: neighbor killed my bees  (Read 13237 times)

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
Re: neighbor killed my bees
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 09:57:13 pm »
It'd be great to see someone do a really educational and reference-filled thread on the differences between pesticides and herbicides.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 10:24:16 pm »
It was the roundup that killed the bees.  I forgot to say this roundup was commercial grade weed killer and u have to have a license to get it. she works at a grainary and one of the farmers gave it to her in syrup form and she mixed it herself.  Also I did not give her permission to spray, she thought she was doing us a favor by spraying so we didn't have to weedeat.  Although we told her not to spray anymore, the damage is already done. My concern was the chemical contanimating my honey and we were afraid to sell any of it if the honey was poison.
yea supper concetrate thats what i use -only way it hurts bees is there is no forage after it is sprayed
what dose the nieghbor say-RDY-B

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 12:52:31 am »
It was the roundup that killed the bees.  I forgot to say this roundup was commercial grade weed killer and u have to have a license to get it. she works at a grainary and one of the farmers gave it to her in syrup form and she mixed it herself.  Also I did not give her permission to spray, she thought she was doing us a favor by spraying so we didn't have to weedeat.  Although we told her not to spray anymore, the damage is already done. My concern was the chemical contanimating my honey and we were afraid to sell any of it if the honey was poison.
well that was mightly neighborly of her. I would be sending her a bill for bees and honey loss and have my lawyer deliver it. Sorry for your loss.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline hooyaman

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 03:17:09 pm »
yea, thats what i feel like doing but she's a dingbat and she probably didn't realize what she was doing. In her mind she was doing us a favor by killing the weeds. But if it happens again she will pay for the damages or i will be forced to take her to court. Anyway whan raising bees, you can never predict what's going to happen to your bees.  between disease, mites, hive betles, moths, attacks from other colonies and attacks from retarded humans, we are fighting a losing battle trying to keep our bees healthy. So what do you do but cross your fingers and hope for the best and when something happens, regroup and go again.

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 04:51:24 pm »
I smell a rat :-x    Glyphosphate is not toxic to anything but PLANTS.  It works by interrupting the plants ability to produce chlorophyll causing the plant to starve to death.  "Commercial grade" roundup is still glyphosphate.  Unless this is a formulation that is different than the retail formula, (which I doubt), it is just more concentrated.  The reason it is only available to licensed applicators, is that the potential for problems from misapplication or accidents is amplified when greatly concentrated.  If the sprayer had been used for applying insecticide previously, there is a chance that it could contaminate the Roundup and kill bees, but I doubt the residual bug-killer would be in sufficient quantity to kill off 3 hives.  Unless your neighbor is an idiot, they wouldn't use the same sprayer for both weed-killer and bug-killer for just that reason.  Either the deaths aren't related to the Roundup spraying at all, or your neighbor simply used the spraying as a ruse to rid himself of your bees.  I have a neighbor who hates cats.  I have had several disappear mysteriously.  My point is that cats are cuddlier than bees!!! :-D
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 10:32:40 pm »
I'm so sorry!   Geez, I'm glad I live where people aren't in love with yard chemicals.

Yep.  Roundup sprayed to control vegetation is going to get on flowers, don't you think?  Seems by extension it's going to get into the honey, that is if contact with it doesn't take out the bees first.

There are so many alternatives to chemicals...I can't understand why people want to poison their environment.  Acetic acid (vinegar) and clove oil sprayed onto plants on a warm sunny day will kill them quickly.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2009, 11:12:26 am »
I'm so sorry!   Geez, I'm glad I live where people aren't in love with yard chemicals.

Yep.  Roundup sprayed to control vegetation is going to get on flowers, don't you think?  Seems by extension it's going to get into the honey, that is if contact with it doesn't take out the bees first.

There are so many alternatives to chemicals...I can't understand why people want to poison their environment.  Acetic acid (vinegar) and clove oil sprayed onto plants on a warm sunny day will kill them quickly.
How much vinegar how much clove oil :?
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2009, 11:28:01 am »
After doing a simple Google search;
Here is a vinergar start;

http://www.versatilevinegar.org/usesandtips.html#4

Some people even spray their bees with it ???   :-x

Sorry about highjacking thread !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2009, 03:16:46 pm »
I'm so sorry!   Geez, I'm glad I live where people aren't in love with yard chemicals.

Yep.  Roundup sprayed to control vegetation is going to get on flowers, don't you think?  Seems by extension it's going to get into the honey, that is if contact with it doesn't take out the bees first.

There are so many alternatives to chemicals...I can't understand why people want to poison their environment.  Acetic acid (vinegar) and clove oil sprayed onto plants on a warm sunny day will kill them quickly.
How much vinegar how much clove oil :?

I use a teaspoon clove oil per gallon of straight vinegar and one of those pump up 2 gal sprayers.  Vinegar by itself will burn up grass/weeds quite well.  The clove oil can help kill the plants.  Vinegar by itself doesn't seem to kill the roots very much (probably more of a "defoliant").  You'll have to apply a couple times or more to actually kill the plant.  Not as effective as herbicides like Roundup I'm guessing, and it's a heck of a lot safer.  Just make sure you saturate the plants and do it on a sunny, no rain day.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2009, 03:35:00 pm »
You know I have an outyard, in a farmers bean field, he sprayed  a week ago, good guy he called and asked if it was ok or not to spray. Of course I told him don't not do anything you would normally do on account of the bees. From what I have read and been told roundup don't hurt the bees. Now he sprayed that night. I went over a few days later and the bees were just fine, and he sprayed 140 acres, not 3 feet from my hives. Probly closer, the first rows of beans is a tractor wheel wide away,, Point is nothing happened to my bees an there was more than just a few sprays done with a hand tool pump.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.