Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: will they make honey?  (Read 1720 times)

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
will they make honey?
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:33:36 pm »
will bees make honey from watermelon and cantelope and sunflowers?or is it just a pollination thing?the reason i ask i had a local farmer ask if would put some bees in his area.he has 25 acre of watermelons and cantelope circled by 10 rows of sun flowers.thanks 

bill

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: will they make honey?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:41:04 pm »
No, only catfish make honey...  :shock:   :-D   :-D

They will make honey from sunflowers and the other 8000 acres in the area that they work.

I don't know about melons, but I think that is a positive also.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:14:04 pm »
I agree, they will fly more than a mile in any direction to find honey, when you consider the flower density of cucurbits, they'll be making the extra honey from everything else around.

Now if the watermelons were in the middle of 640 acres of pumpkins, then I'd take a pass on putting my bees there.  :-D

Rick
Rick

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:57:46 pm »
In my neck of the woods and further north sunflower is a major honey crop!

Offline mathispollenators

• House Bee
    • Mathis Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 07:50:27 pm »
Charge him if you do put bees there.  They will not make a surplus for you to extract off those fields only enough to maintain.  He has been paying someone pollenation fees for the melons and cantalopes in the past.  These are a few ways you can make some cash with your bees.  He maybe trying to wheel in a sucker by getting this for free from you.  Making you think you can make a honey crop off this when he know you don't.
Without Thomas Edison & Alexander Graham Bell we wouldn't have the graveyard shift or Telemarketers.  So how do you like them now?