Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc or Package  (Read 2188 times)

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
Nuc or Package
« on: January 25, 2009, 01:23:51 pm »
Which of these two approaches is best for rapid development of a new colony?  Is it typical in the Pacific Northwest for both to be available at the same time?

Thanks,

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Nuc or Package
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 01:36:58 pm »
SH, can't answer the second question but to answer the first, nuc definitely way to go for fastest build up, hands down.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:21:10 pm »
depends on what you want to do with regard to foundation and cell size. I prefer packages than nuc's more fun, more to do initially abd nibe where introduced to small cell foundation straight away. Nucs just arrive and sit there i had issues with both the nucs i had , it may of been those  particualr bee's from that beekeeper. my packages on the other hand out preformed anything i had even begun to imagine that they would do.

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:38:03 pm »
JP,

Thanks.  We have relatively cool summers in this part of the world and after last year's disaster I want to give the girls the best start I can.  Very much appreciate the insight, thank you.

SH

Offline hardtime

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 03:10:46 pm »
nuc  i say. i heard it is abouy 50/50 on package thay will make it the first  winter .
your frend   hardtime

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 04:17:01 pm »
Nukes it is , package bees come from different hives , and takes time to organize while nukes it is sama hive you just add a queen . :)

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 04:31:40 pm »
It's great to get such a clear answer.

Thank you.

SH

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 05:14:05 pm »
>Which of these two approaches is best for rapid development of a new colony?  Is it typical in the Pacific Northwest for both to be available at the same time?

When it comes to all things being equal (such as you want deeps and deep nucs are available, you want mediums and mediums are available, or you don't want put them in a Warre' or a TBH, they are on small cell and you want small cell or they are on large cell and you want large cell) then the nuc is an advantage.  But there's nothing wrong with a package and it is simpler if you don't have them on the size frames or cell size you want to use.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin