Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finman, how do you apply oxalic acid?  (Read 4800 times)

Offline mattoleriver

• New Bee
Finman, how do you apply oxalic acid?
« on: October 21, 2004, 03:49:10 pm »
Finman,
I've read of a variety of methods for treating hives with oxalic acid.  Some methods trickle a liquid solution on the frames and others use various types of vaporizers to vaporize dry oxalic acid.   What method do you use?  Will you describe your method, please?
George

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Finman, how do you apply oxalic acid?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 05:45:02 am »
Quote from: mattoleriver
Finman,
I've read of a variety of methods for treating hives with oxalic acid.  Some methods trickle a liquid solution on the frames and others use various types of vaporizers to vaporize dry oxalic acid.   What method do you use?  Will you describe your method, please?
George

There is heating acid = vaporazing method. It needs warm weather. Laborous, I think.

I just read fresh formula to pour solution on bees. So it is:

Hive must be without broods. If you have palm size brood area, it may contain 20% of hives mites.  (But to do is better than for nothing.)

Take 7,5 gr oxalic acetic powder into 1 dl warm water.
Take 100 gr sugar and dilute it in the solution.

This 1,3 dl volume is enough for 3-5 hives, depending of the amount of bees .

Drop 4 ml solution in the middle of frames, which is full of bees from edge to edge.

Do not give for one box hive  more than 40 ml, and this only for hive which is totally full of bees.

Do not give for 2 box hive more than 50 ml.

Weather can be cold, so bees are in the winter ball.

Beekeepers just chatted, what is the way, oxalic acid works. They do know but it works.

It should be a grid beneath the box, so mites cannot return to bees. In former times they used to keep greased bottom but grid seems to be better.

This method is given from professional beekeeper, one of the best in Finland Ari Seppälä.
http://www.hunaja.net/smlkoti/koulutus/opintomateriaalit/finnish%20varroa%20concept%202000%20-%202002.doc

Seppo Korpela is a bee rearcher in the farming university.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 02:56:58 pm »
1dl (decaliter) =3.38 oz
there are  437.5 grains9(gr) in a ounce
THere are  28.34952  grams (g) in a ounce
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline mattoleriver

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 04:27:22 pm »
Thanks, Finman.

Is that just oxalic acid and water or is there some acetic acid also?
Big Rog has called into question the units of measurement.  If I understand correctly you mix 7.5 grams of oxalic acid powder into 100 ml water.  Add 100 grams of sugar to the acid solution making a total of 130 ml acid/sugar solution.  Is this correct?
George

Offline Finman

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 02:55:06 pm »
Quote from: mattoleriver
Thanks, Finman.

Is that just oxalic acid and water or is there some acetic acid also?
Big Rog has called into question the units of measurement.  If I understand correctly you mix 7.5 grams of oxalic acid powder into 100 ml water.  Add 100 grams of sugar to the acid solution making a total of 130 ml acid/sugar solution.  Is this correct?
George

That is correct.

No asetic acid with oxalic.