Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: An idea that may make it easier on when to move bees  (Read 9572 times)

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
An idea that may make it easier on when to move bees
« on: November 03, 2012, 11:24:50 pm »
Hi all was just thinking to myself while making frames in the garage, about how much a pain it is having to move bees at night or to block up and move them first thing in the morning.
What about placing a bee escape over the entrance during daylight? the field bees cant stay out forever, how long before they would all make it back to the hive? (30 mins?)
Ive already figured out how to attach the bee escape on any standard entrance.
This would make it possible to move during the day if it works, your input is welcome, re Neil

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: An idea that may make it easier on when to move bees
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 03:19:44 pm »
Seems like much more trouble trying to block them in during the day rather than just moving the hive during the night. 

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:30:41 am »
Seems like much more trouble trying to block them in during the day rather than just moving the hive during the night. 

well the idea is supposed to trap the field bees when they come back to enable a daytime move , would like to try and keep the missus happy by being able to spend some time with her in the evenings.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 06:14:56 am »
I get up early the morning of the move and staple a piece of screen in front of the entrances and place ratchet straps to lock them together. The straps make it easier to pick up and stops them from sliding apart.  Then later I come back with help and load them up. Usually have to add smoke to get the bearded bees back in the hive before closing them up.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:50:25 am »
Neil, give it a whirl and get back to us with your results. I imagine the time of year and weather will have a big impact. Obviously you will have far greater numbers out in the field during a heavy flow.

What is your plan with the returning foragers?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 12:22:48 pm »
Brushy sells a "Florida Moving Screen"  that does just what your looking for ->  http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Florida-Moving-Screen/productinfo/516/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 01:59:36 pm »
Neil, give it a whirl and get back to us with your results. I imagine the time of year and weather will have a big impact. Obviously you will have far greater numbers out in the field during a heavy flow.

What is your plan with the returning foragers?

...JP

Well the idea basically was to catch all the foragers when they came back, not sure how long they stay out for though?

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 02:02:11 pm »
Brushy sells a "Florida Moving Screen"  that does just what your looking for ->  http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Florida-Moving-Screen/productinfo/516/

Exactly !!!!   this is exactly what im going on about, somebody else got the idea first ! so it must work.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 02:08:11 pm »
Exactly !!!!   this is exactly what im going on about, somebody else got the idea first ! so it must work.

Or sound plausible enough to get people to buy it.  :evil:  

I have used it on a few occasions when picking up a trap out and it works OK.   I would say you need to put it on at least a couple hours ahead of time.  It takes some time for the returning foragers to wander around and find their way back in.,
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:02:33 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 05:52:29 pm »
I usually close them up after dark and plan to get there just before daylight... but if you're in a hurry, just pull the covers off for an hour or so and everyone will stay home.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 12:17:19 am »

...JP

how does one determine what is a heavy flow? lots of trees in flower? or just lots of honey being stored? forgive my ignorance on this but
 the most ive got is 7 jars of honey i started 3 octobers ago  last year wasn't that great re Neil

Started new topic for this question

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 06:52:40 am »
The easiest way is to just monitor the entrance for returning bees.  If they are still returning at a steady rate then you haven't waited long enough.   There are too many variables, as JP stated, for anyone to give you an exact time.

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 12:40:54 pm »
I have made several entrance blocks, Use piece of 1/2 " wood or plywood , hole saw 1" holes in it spaced in the 14 1/2" width. Cover the back side with screen. drill 2 holes in the top of the block, last thing at night go out block entrance , put the 2 screws in it to close entrance. next day put hive where you want it and remove the entrance block. but be sure that you have veil on because every time I don't at least 1 gets me.. Last time I didn't and 1 got me on the eyelid...Good luck.. JPP

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 07:43:07 pm »
I find the easiest way to shift is to wait until late in the day when they're not flying any more and then simply staple flywire over the entrances - load them up - ship them out! alternatively you can close them up at night and head out early morning to do the loading/shifting or you can load them at night, go home, get some sleep and then just drive/unload the next morning! When you get them in their new location simply pull the flywire off and away they go!

Offline ehoneybees

• Brood
    • be a beekeeper
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 01:13:33 pm »
Were you able to move your bees? I'm also planning to do this as I have just started a new garden fit for beekeeping.
Hi, I'm Erie from New York. I am very health conscious and I like to know things about improving one's health. I'm also interested in alternative medicines that we get from natural resources like bees. I would also love to know the benefits of royal jelly and how to be a beekeeper.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 12:26:21 am »
Were you able to move your bees? I'm also planning to do this as I have just started a new garden fit for beekeeping.

i havnt needed to move them its pretty good where they are.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 08:56:14 am »
Hi guys

I get up early (or do it the night before) and staple steel fly screen over the entrance then just move them

the last time i tried moving bees at night ended up with bees in my pants...

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 09:52:13 am »
Way to much work moving in the daytime for me. Close them up at dark30, move in the morning.
Crawler bees are usually found when sitting down on the truck seat :shock: I have one of the Florida moving screens in my junk somewhere. Can't remember! Any time you have them closed up for while, you better have a veil or be able to run fast. :-D

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 12:38:57 am »
Any time you have them closed up for while, you better have a veil or be able to run fast. :-D

Aint that the truth! moved a hive at night last year , i wasn't going to suit up but had a change of heart at the last
minute , i was glad i did as all the shaking must have really annoyed them, as soon as i opened the entrance a whole bunch came
out and tried to get me , that hive was normally well behaved too.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 01:44:05 am »
yep any time i move them, i let them sit for an hour prior to release, by that stage they have forgotten about taking revenge and are just more interested in getting out