Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Size advise needed; deep vs medium  (Read 14025 times)

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
Re: Size advise needed; deep vs medium
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2011, 02:37:35 pm »
The Killion method for Comb honey production uses splitting by the box with deeps, I think he is a bit and by a bit I mean alot older then MB. I think his father also used it before him.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 03:08:16 pm »
The Killion method for Comb honey production uses splitting by the box with deeps, I think he is a bit and by a bit I mean alot older then MB. I think his father also used it before him.

Do you have a link to something describing how he splits by the box.  You mean that he distributes boxes randomly without regard to the contents?
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2011, 12:40:27 am »
My point on boxes that are half the size, is that the resources are fairly evenly distributed with no effort beyond the sequence of doing every other box.  This is not true when you have deeps.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2011, 01:46:38 am »
Michael, you mentioned that you need 4 eight frame mediums going into buildup to have a reliable "split by box".  Do you mean that you need a minimum of 4 boxes full of bees in order to split that into two hives of two boxes each?   Just how high can you stack those 8 frame mediums before they fall over?  :-D
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2011, 06:21:31 am »
>Do you mean that you need a minimum of 4 boxes full of bees in order to split that into two hives of two boxes each?

That is best both for distributing and for "critical mass".

>   Just how high can you stack those 8 frame mediums before they fall over?

I have them all up against each other and sometimes they are higher than I can reach, but that's also why none of my stands are taller than 3 1/2".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin