Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How much is not enough???  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
How much is not enough???
« on: June 29, 2013, 10:33:31 pm »
Hey guys and gals,

Went into a hive that I installed a new queen. The queen is now laying. The hive can only be described as weak. Took brood and honey frame from my only strong hive and gave it to this hive to build numbers until this queens brood hatches. I know they feed newly hatched larvae honey and pollen. My concern is I didn't see very much pollen in the hive.

How concerned should I be?

Could that be a problem in the development of the larvae?????

If it is how do I get them the pollen they need other than taking from my other hive?

Please advise.

Thanks David.
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: How much is not enough???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 10:46:04 pm »
Are your bees bringing in pollen? Watch them in the morning. If they are bringing in pollen, they may just be using it as fast as they bring it in. They also will store it on frames other than the frame with the brood you are looking at. My observation hive had me concerned, when I looked at the exposed frame with lots of open brood, there was no pollen, I noted this and then turned the hive around and on the other side was lots of stored pollen. It may be you are not recognizing it when they cover it with a little honey. The honey protects it from breaking down. The important is are they bringing it in to the hive.
Jim
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:31:19 am by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 04:58:18 am »

How concerned should I be?

A much as possible but it helps nothing. Your bees do their job without your thinking.

When I started beekeeping, i looked forecasts from TV every day and calculated how much I loose honey or get honey in that weather and in that weather. - Stupid thinking. It comes what it comes.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 04:14:49 pm »
They will bring in as much pollen as they need.  Grass pollen is big now.  The nectar will dry up soon.   The Sourwood will bloom out soon.  Then nothing until fall here in north georgia.  The brood development will be nothing like what you see in early spring.   Bees know what they are doing.   

anything