How big of a problem do i have?

get rid of plants
1 (50%)
move bees
0 (0%)
Panic!
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: rhododendron and mountain laurel  (Read 1973 times)

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
rhododendron and mountain laurel
« on: May 12, 2012, 04:10:35 pm »
I have two rhododendron shrubs and two mountain laurel trees in my front yard,my bee hives are only about 150 ft from yard at edge of woods.There are many sources of pollen other than these plants.So i am hoping i will not have as big of a problem as it seems.
  Need some experienced advice here,do not want to worry about poison honey.

HELP! :-\
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Re: rhododendron and mountain laurel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 04:19:04 pm »
I didn't vote because you have nothing to worry about. That is unless that is the only source of nectar within five miles, in which case you have far more problems than rhodedendron and laurel.

Generally, bees will not work those plants. Here in the south the azeala is the classic spring flowering shrub and I have never observed a single honeybee working them in my life.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 04:21:40 pm »
Don't worry about it.  I have both in my yard.   It would take hundreds of acres to make an impact.   Remember, a bee taps 2 million flowers and flies 50,000 miles to make one pound of honey.

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 06:07:59 pm »
Hey thanks guys i was really worried about the rhododendrons,i have one that i pruned last year first time in about 40 yrs so it wont have any bloom this year.I noticed the bees working the red bud trees they are in full bloom now and the broom brush is also blooming.The blackberry's will be blooming before long,we had early bloom on all of the fruit trees this year so they are about done blooming.I have never seen honey bees on the mountain laurel blooms so i am not to concerned about it.
  Was just waiting for the next gotcha Ha!/with honey bees you never know,trying to do everything right. I may try planting more late blooming wild flowers next year. :oops:
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!