Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foundationless Hive  (Read 1481 times)

Offline agodin01

• New Bee
Re: Foundationless Hive
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 12:26:25 AM »
It's just my opinion, but when I hear a new beek saying "I want to go foundationless in 8 frame mediums, I hear:

""I want to learn to fly. I want to start as a fighter jet test pilot. Don't bother me with a Piper.""

I suggest learning the basics first, then try the peripherals.

Have you ever taken flight lessons?  How do you know what a Piper is?

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »
Have you ever taken flight lessons?  How do you know what a Piper is?
I got my private pilot certificate in June of 2001 in a SkyHawk. Since then I have flown a Piper Warrior and a Citabria. Unfortunately if got wanted us to fly he would have given us more money. I haven't flown in almost 10 years :cry: I love flying the Citabria and I have to say that learning to fly the tail dragger was a big change from the tricycle.

I can't speak for iddee. But somewhat disagree with his analogy learning to fly in an F16 verses of starting beekeeping foundation-less. If you start foundation-less you learn very quickly to keep frames vertical. If you started with foundation it takes longer to break the habit of not allowing the frame to be near horizontal. People talk about cross comb but you can have that with foundation as well. From everything I can tell, foundation is just more work installing and an unneeded expense. I went 3 years before I had any issue with cross comb. Now I have to fix it. No big deal.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 05:50:59 PM »
People who act like bees don't mess up foundation are not being honest with themselves.  Bees are no more or less likely to make a mess with or without foundation if you have a comb guide.  I've seen many a new beekeeper with a mess in their hive that used wax foundation and it buckled, or plastic and the bees built fins on it and combs out from the surface.  If you keep bees, you will get messed up comb from time to time.  You should learn to deal with it.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin