Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ayn Rand on the 2nd amendment.  (Read 244 times)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Ayn Rand on the 2nd amendment.
« on: February 22, 2017, 04:41:03 PM »
"The necessary consequence of man's right to life is his right to self-defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative.

"If some "pacifist" society renounced the retaliatory use of force, it would be left helplessly at the mercy of the first thug who decided to be immoral. Such a society would achieve the opposite of its intention: instead of abolishing evil, it would encourage and reward it."--Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
Re: Ayn Rand on the 2nd amendment.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »
Good quote.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline herbhome

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 01:17:35 PM »
Hear Here!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »
"When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you ? you know your nation is doomed."--Ayn Rand
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:42:40 PM »
In addition to encouraging and rewarding evil, it makes everyone dependent on the government to discourage or punish evil. 
One could not learn history from architecture any more than one could learn it from books. Statues, inscriptions, memorial stones, the names of streets ? anything that might throw light upon the past had been systematically altered. (1.8.85)

George Orwell  "1984"

Offline Hops Brewster

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »
These are natural laws and apply not only at the macro level of nations, but at the individual level as well.  They can be seen throughout human history, and in the natural world as well.  The predator with the claws and teeth preys on those without inborn weapons. 

Of course it will be said, and has been said for millennia,  that we humans have the capacity for logic and choice, so therefore we have the ability to overcome such primitive faults of attack, defense and retaliation.  Yet these 'faults' have never been overcome except by a very few individuals, most all of whom became victims of the predator.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

anything