Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any SCUBA divers out there?  (Read 249 times)

Offline agodin01

• New Bee
Any SCUBA divers out there?
« on: March 07, 2017, 08:54:09 PM »
I am an avid scuba diver, and I wanted to see if there was anybody else on this site who was a fan of the sport.  I live in Massachussettes, and I frequently scuba dive out of Rockport, Gloucester, Salem, Marblehead, and Nahant.  I also plan on visiting the cape and the islands to scuba this summer.

Scuba in New England is challenging and exciting.  I call it challenging because the water has poor visibility, it tends to be cold so a wet suit or dry suit is required, and the seas are prone to be quite rough.  However it is a very rewarding place to dive, if the challenges can be overcome by the diver.  Unlike diving in the tropics, diving in New England includes many unique activities that are found only in this region.  Some of these activities include catching lobsters, spearfishing for various species of fish, collecting scallops and other shellfish, exploring ship wrecks, and observing some of the largest most incredible wildlife. 

I could go on for hours about this topic, and there are so many incredible experiences to be had in this area.  If there are any other scuba divers, please share some stories or tell me about your area. 

Offline gww

• Field Bee
Re: Any SCUBA divers out there?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 09:38:41 PM »
I don't scuba dive but my brother in law, uncle and brother do.  I guess for a storie, they have a place in the ozarks called party cove where some pretty wild boat parties where they tie all the boats to gether and try to get the girls to show their, well you know.  Anyway, definatly not clear water,  The divers go down and dig through the mud and dig up treasures that the partiers have dropped.

I would say around hear for clean water to dive in, it would be swimming pools where they give lessons and sometimes big clay pits are really clear.
Cheers
gww

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:53:22 PM »
I don't dive now but I was an advanced PADI certified diver back in the late 70s. I learned and dove off of Bermuda for over a year there. The PADI certification was for life back then.
Poor visibility was 20'. During the winter I started out diving without a wetsuit until I was able to buy a used one.
We had hundreds of wrecks to dive on including the one that the movie the Deep was based on which they filmed while I was there.
I still have a marble bottle and several other bottles that I found diving in a harbor.
We had 4' barracuda that would follow us around on dives.
If you ever get a chance, go there for a dive vacation.
We would see sharks on the way out to a dive site but I never knew anyone that saw a shark while in the water.
I turned my brother and father on to diving while there and my father would go diving to see sharks by the thousands off of Mexico and even had a very close up visit from a 16' great white in Australia. Watched it come in from a long way out and checked him out from arms reach.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline nediver

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 11:25:01 PM »
check my user name...

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 02:00:24 PM »
I got certified open water padi when i was younger.  I dove a few lakes and a natural spring lake, (talk about clear).

Ive wanted to dive more for a long time.  I still want to buy the equiptment.  My wife is scared to dive, i need to fi d a good area to teach her.   Never enough time or money with our busy lives and other bigger hobbies..

Offline divemaster1963

• Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 10:42:31 AM »
Was a Instructor for several years. Then let it lapse. Now just have divemaster, rescue and recovery, and advance cave  rescue. Have not gone in several years due to time and taking care of wife. Have been thru out the the islands of the Atlantic, the golopicus islands, midway, bikini islands for research on radio active ships study.( scary as hell)

John

Offline Roborep1

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
So I haven't dove in 5 years. Obviously I have a lot invested in my and wife's equipment. Do I sell it now for whatever or hang on to it. My thinking was by the time I dove again my kids will be older. So I am min 7yrs away with anywhere from zero to maybe 2 dives a summer in between.  My thinking was its life support and while it's stored well do I want to really use it 7 years later. But then again equipment hasn't changed that much. My computers are good enough that they will still be relevant down the road.

What would you do. Hold the sunk cost or sell and reinvest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything