Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Broken/frames on their last leg in hive... question  (Read 99 times)

Online Sniper338

• House Bee
Broken/frames on their last leg in hive... question
« on: April 16, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »
We got a nuc yesterday.  Set the next to the front of thhee hive the rest of yesterday to settle down.

This morning we opened up the nuc and put it in the hive, all went well.  Question is, most of the frames from this nuc need replaced, they are on their last leg...   when can you take frames out of the brood box and replace them with new frames?

My thought was when the hive is ready for a second brood box, put the old frames in the top brood box and add new ones to the bottom...  then when winter comes and the hive just needs one hive body take off the top box with the old frames in it....  then the frames are out of the hive...

Offline divemaster1963

• Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Broken/frames on their last leg in hive... question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 04:13:12 PM »
if you want to replace frames place new frames above.(preferable draw frames) Hives move up. they will not put brood over honey so wait till they have filled some of the frames with honey then you can switch the positions of frames with honey with frames with brood by moving them up. all this saying is their is several ways to do it. just depends on the time frame you want aor have. I prefer just placing new box under and moving frames with honey down and brood frames over top of the honey frames. takes them about a week or two to move stuff around.

john

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:26:02 PM »
I recommend you move keep moving the frames towards the brood and then to the 2 out side frames. The bees will usually end up filling them with honey or leave them empty. Then you can remove them.
I think it is really rotten that bee breeders think that selling their defective frames in nucs is a good idea. My first hive had a really old frame that was missing most of frame holder. On one of my early inspections, that frame dropped out of box next to my right foot and I received a dozen stings to my right ankle area. Shame on them.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline CrazyTalk

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:15:16 PM »
I recommend you move keep moving the frames towards the brood and then to the 2 out side frames. The bees will usually end up filling them with honey or leave them empty. Then you can remove them.
I think it is really rotten that bee breeders think that selling their defective frames in nucs is a good idea. My first hive had a really old frame that was missing most of frame holder. On one of my early inspections, that frame dropped out of box next to my right foot and I received a dozen stings to my right ankle area. Shame on them.
Jim
It's even more frustrating that a lot of nuc breeders seem to want you to give them frames in exchange, or charge you extra if you don't have a frame exchange.

anything