Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The girls are here!  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
The girls are here!
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:34:43 am »
I got my two nucs this morning. They are sitting on my kitchen table. So I'm wondering if I should go ahead and install them (it looks like its going to storm) or wait till I get a few peeks of sunshine. If I should wait, should I give em some syrup? There are only two holes in the box; one larger one on top and a small one on the side. In order to open them I'm going to need a screwdriver since the top is all stapled down so once I start that its no turning back.  :-D How long can they stay in the box like that? Should I just brave the weather and install them now? Since its overcast will I need the smoker?

So many questions I know, but I know someone here can answer them. Thanks so much!

~mary

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: The girls are here!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:48:48 am »
Wait till the sun is shineing.

Spray screen wire with sugar water twice a day, keep in a dry, warm, dark place.
They will last for several days.

During this time period,talk to your Local bee club members, and read a couple of bee books from your local library !

Local Advise is the best kind.

Remember beekeeping is just a expensive hobby.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 10:16:53 am »
If they are nucs, why not just set em up outside where you want them?  You don't have to transfer them to ten frame equipment right away.  You can then transfer them to ten frame equipment when the weather is better.  Just open up the entrance and let them have at it.

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 10:27:03 am »
Thanks. There is no actual entrance. THese boxes look nothing like typical nuc boxes. Once the top comes off its all exposed. There is no bottom opening. Its just a wood box with a screen vent. Nothing like I imagined.

I did spend all fall and winter reading up on this. My brain just froze when they arrived. I suddenly had no idea what to do. I did spray them with some sugar water so thanks for that, Bee-Bop. I wasn't sure if I would incite a riot if I did that. They calmed right down- :)

I guess I'll just hope that I get a few peeks of sunshine today so I can transfer them. I did hook up with a local beek but he is impossible to get ahold of in the daytime.  :roll: I'm pretty sure I know what to do to transfer them and such, but I am not so sure about how to care for them in their "mobile home". Hence the panic. I just don't want them to have the same fate as my houseplants.

~mary

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:46:46 am »
That is so funny... "My brain just froze when they arrived"....mine did the same thing during the excitement of installing my packages.  I studied the subject thoroughly, then when I was actually installing them, I saw some things that weren't explained in the book and my step by step planning went out the window.  Good luck with your Nucs.
-Mike

Offline HiHat

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 11:17:15 am »
I use a Hive tool to remove the top cover on package bees. Once you remove the cover there will be a large hole with a can of sugar water and a queen cage.
Sounds like you know how to install once the weather permits, today does not look good in KY.

Good luck!

HiHat
HiHat

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 12:21:45 pm »
Yeah today is a crappy day to install. It is pouring something fierce here, just checked the radar and there is more to come.

Maybe I'll get lucky and there'll be a break.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 12:27:40 pm »
HiHat, I believe these are nucs instead of packages.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 12:40:59 pm »
Set the nucs on the stands where they will be permanently. Either remove or puncture the screen vent so they can fly. If you can't do that, drill a 3/4 to 1 inch hole low on the end of the wood box. Then you can let them set for a week or longer, as if they were in the normal hive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 09:30:56 pm »
Congratulations,  Mairzy_doats on get your Nuc!
Johnny

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 10:21:29 pm »
Hey Congratulations on your new bees Mary! Have fun!