Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wild hive I'd like to have  (Read 2579 times)

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
Wild hive I'd like to have
« on: March 19, 2007, 12:58:05 pm »
I found this wild hive in a tree but its on the side of the road. Its a very big hive with lots of bees flying almost a cloud of bees flying around the opening. Whats the best way to go about getting this hive without getting into trouble with the county, city or are there any laws about this in a right of way?

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Wild hive I'd like to have
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 01:33:46 pm »
Is it a big major highway or a dirt back road? How close to the road is it? I guess this is a hollow tree?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 02:50:38 pm »
Yes this is a hollowed out tree. Its a big oak tree. Where the bees are is a big branch that was hollow and now has broken off and the hive is open. There is new white comb in the opening so I'm sure some of them got hauled off when they cleaned the fallen branch off the road.

The hive is about 20 foot from a paved secondary road on the side.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 02:53:58 pm »
This really depends on how easy the bees are to get.

Is it out of the question to cut out the part of the tree the bees are living in and take the whole thing home to be extracted there? I think I'd have close up the entrance the previous night before taking a saw to the tree.

Some towns are more than happy to get rid of trees so close to road. You may want to check with someone in charge of that and offer to take the bees free of charge.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 05:13:46 pm »
This is a cut out.
If the opening is big enough go in and cut out the comb and place it in a hive body. If the opening is to small can you make it large enough with comprimising the tree?

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 05:30:43 pm »
This is a cut out.
If the opening is big enough go in and cut out the comb and place it in a hive body. If the opening is to small can you make it large enough with comprimising the tree?

That doesn't answer the legal part.  :? Come on get with it.  :roll:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 05:36:36 pm »
This is a cut out.

That doesn't answer the legal part.  :? Come on get with it.  :roll:

Hehe, Sorry I am not a lawyer I don't give legal advice(okay that is a lie but it sounds good). My recommendation is grab a white pick up wear an orange vest and imitate a government employee when you go for the hive. if you have a legal problems cal Jerrymac for bail money. :lol:

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Drone

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 06:11:24 pm »
[
wear an orange vest and imitate a government employee

But how would standing around all day drinking coffee get you the bees?  :-D

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 07:17:56 pm »
Jerry aboutthat bail money,I think I'm in trouble.i followed Understudy's advice about the vest and pickup,something about impersonation ,I said thats me in person! Not funny!

Anyway, I think I would ask the local municipality or possibly set a swarm trap? It's swarm season in your area isn't it?  Good luck whatever you do. :)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 04:12:26 pm »
Why not call the county road commission, tell them about the bees (always assumed dangerous to the public) and offer to take it out for them.  A swarm of bees could blind a driver and cause an accident (hey they don't know better), but they don't want to kill a valuable natural resource.  You might even get help with it.

Of course that could go either way and they could rush out and poison it.  But that would still be better than getting in trouble and paying a fine.

Rick
Rick