Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: DID YOU KNOW THEY HAVE FOUND A VARROA CURE?  (Read 16907 times)

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
DID YOU KNOW THEY HAVE FOUND A VARROA CURE?
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2005, 02:31:06 am »
Since this spore is found virtually everywhere, I went looking for where this stuff is found....

And it is a common problem pest for

grapes......

So, if you were to go to a wine vineyard, and get some of thier composed leaves, and poor this between your bee boxes, you might save  your bees, if you have mights...

And I am thinking that if this works, the best place to put this composted material is between the 1st and 2nd brood boxes....

The bees clean this up, and move it out side and the spore is spread thru the hive....maybe not in the concentration that we could have but possibly enough to make a difference in your dying  hive. .....

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
Metarizum can't have disappeared...
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 01:18:09 am »
It may be pulled off of one market, but not all.  Even DDT is still available in some countries...I noticed Finsky say that oxalic acid is way cheaper than here in Canada.  We are all markets of supply and demand for pharmaceutikill companies.  Could we put our collective heads together and find out where in the world this fungus can be found commercially, perhaps someone out there has access??? I would like to try this.  If anyone lives in an area where this wonder fungus is still sold, I would like to source some.  Unless its illegal in Canada OF COURSE, then just simply send me private relpy....

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 04:24:07 pm »
Beware of the highly prized "silver bullet".
Every time we try to release this to eliminate that, we cause some other unexpected problem.  After some period of time, we realize that this didn't really eliminate that but to make matters worse, we now need a new magic bullet to correct the unexpected problem.  
Hate to be a cold shower but varroa, kudzu and ailanthus are all here to stay! :evil:
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

Offline Andrew Tyzack

• New Bee
    • http://www.thelandgallery.com
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2006, 03:18:50 am »
Eradicating varroa would require worldwide co-operation. It would be difficult to co-ordinate all the beekeepers of one country, even.

Andrew

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2006, 09:14:32 am »
Since this spore is found virtually everywhere, I went looking for where this stuff is found....

And it is a common problem pest for

grapes......

So, if you were to go to a wine vineyard, and get some of thier composed leaves, and poor this between your bee boxes, you might save your bees, if you have mights...

And I am thinking that if this works, the best place to put this composted material is between the 1st and 2nd brood boxes....

The bees clean this up, and move it out side and the spore is spread thru the hive....maybe not in the concentration that we could have but possibly enough to make a difference in your dying hive. .....

It may be pulled off of one market, but not all. Even DDT is still available in some countries...I noticed Finsky say that oxalic acid is way cheaper than here in Canada. We are all markets of supply and demand for pharmaceutikill companies. Could we put our collective heads together and find out where in the world this fungus can be found commercially, perhaps someone out there has access??? I would like to try this. If anyone lives in an area where this wonder fungus is still sold, I would like to source some. Unless its illegal in Canada OF COURSE, then just simply send me private relpy....

WE ALL NEED TO START GROWING GRAPES...........................
put our collective heads together :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2006, 06:36:44 am »
I read the same article on the fungus killing varroa mites.  My luck is I have a stuggling grape vine.  I think I'll get a few more starts and start composting grape leaves.
While on the subject of mites, I'm trying an experiment.  I've planted mint around my beehives.  Mint is one of many sources of menthol and I'm breaking sprigs and laying them in the tops of the hives.  It's natural and shouldn't tint the honey but it's too soon to tell on that score but even if it does who would object to mint flavored honey? Besides it ought to go good as a glaze on a rack of lamb.  The added benefit is flowers for the bees.  I have a creek running through my property and it has mint growing all along it--it was a simple matter to transplant some.
Anyone want to join in on the experiment?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2006, 07:07:52 am »
A thought just occurred to me.  Since I use fresh green grass or leaves both as a filter and to cool the smoke maybe I should use the mint in the same fashion.  
Every puff of the billows would render a dose of mite treatment.
What do you think?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 03:50:58 am »
And at Varroa and Rhubard? in the General Beekeeping forum we now find Oxalic acid in rhubard leaves.  Mother Nature seems to be the way to go.  All natural solutions is what I'm putting my faith in--we're killing the world with chemicals.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2006, 08:40:45 am »
I'm sure the bees would smoke themselves with rhubard if we let them.  :)

Maybe the bees don't NEED to be treated.  I find the bees quite capable of taking care of themselves.  This is the fifth year I've been using small cell/natural cell size.  Some of the hives have not been treated at all for five years and the last three official inspections by the State of Nebraska have certified that they found no Varroa.  I HAVE Varroa, of course, but early in the spring when the inspections were done, there were few enough that they have not found any since I've been having them inspected, which is the last three years.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline downunder

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2006, 08:51:40 pm »
We are working with metarhizium fungus in Australia for trying to control SHB larva and pupa in the soil.

A few facts about the fungus. It works very well in laboratory conditions where you can control humidity. Humidity is the most required element for it to be successful. Most feild trials fail to live up to first expectations.

Secondly there are many very specific strains of the metarhizium. They occur naturally with most insects. It the way you use or apply it that is important.

Like everything developed it may aid in part of a total bio-control program, but anyone thinking that it will wipe out the pest is dreaming. There are still plenty of locusts in Australia, this year they resorted to spraying fipronil again as the fungus isn't quick enough unless humidity is perfect.

There is no such thing as a cure-all

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
Re: Metarizum can't have disappeared...
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2006, 02:15:05 am »
Quote from: BEE C
It may be pulled off of one market, but not all.  Even DDT is still available in some countries...I noticed Finsky say that oxalic acid is way cheaper than here in Canada.  We are all markets of supply and demand for pharmaceutikill companies.  Could we put our collective heads together and find out where in the world this fungus can be found commercially, perhaps someone out there has access??? I would like to try this.  If anyone lives in an area where this wonder fungus is still sold, I would like to source some.  Unless its illegal in Canada OF COURSE, then just simply send me private relpy....

The reason why you can not get a strain of this stuff in the US is because it is concidered a biological and can be used as a weapon. The only way you can get this stuff is if you are a lab. ....or participate in a university study...

Currently, Fiji is using this biolgical for beetles...

" Roy Masamdu, Principal Entomologist for PNG’s National Agricultural Research Institute (NARI) supervises TBM activities in PNG. Mr. Masamdu says, in PNG, the beetle is a pest to 15 economic plant species including taro. He says the main control method now tested in PNG is a natural enemy of the beetle and is not a chemical-based pesticide.  It is a fungus that occurs naturally in the soil called Metarhizium.  The fungus grows on and kills the beetle. Present trials will find out how much of the fungus can be applied per plant to reduce beetle damage. This is a promising and sustainable method of taro beetle management."

Offline cphilip

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 11:06:59 am »
I recently asked Dr Mike Hood of Clemson University what the status of this was...

here is his reply:

Dear Phil,
To my knowledge, the investigators are still continuing to work on the
application of the product inside the beehive. It is good to make a
discovery of a method to control a pest but getting it packaged and in a
saleable form is another issue and I suspect they are still working on that
aspect. This is my opinion only. I would be surprised if the product is
available real soon but you never know.
Mike