Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Raising Africanized Bees?  (Read 27899 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Raising Africanized Bees?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 07:46:14 pm »
I'm smack-dab in the middle (north to south but near the east coast)of Florida and do cut-outs and swarm removal. I've seen some testy bees but they usually calm down after a day or two...nothing that I'd consider "Africanized". I know they've been reported in our area, just haven't noticed anything so far.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 08:45:23 pm »
I guess people will not accept the reality or get ready for it until it is around them. It is not just people they attack and kill, but any animals that get around them (pets and livestock). I guess we can just wait and see if it will ever happen to anyone we know?

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 11:41:24 pm »
I intend to watch my hives and keep them out breed
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 12:35:23 pm »
Now all we have to do is find a cure for the H1N1 with the venom from bee stings instead of shots from eggs!

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 09:24:26 pm »
I guess I will start raising my own queens from a known stock, and hopefully breed them with known drones? How can you be sure your queen was not mated with any AHBs in the process? Can you raise queens in southern states in a controlled mating environment?

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 01:54:18 am »
It is possible to artificially insiminate a queen there is a company that sells them listed as breeder queens they are around 300 a pop.  Not a viable solution to the problem of wanting to know the drones the queen had copulated with from a cost perspective.  I did happen to see a program where i beleave Mexico is doing research with AHB's where they are getting amazing results with honey production.  On the other hand the jury is still out on if they can breed out all the bad traits and still keep honey production up.  As far as how far north they have come i remember riverrat speaking of a cutout he did that was suspected to be AHB's in Kansas.  I know he sent off a sample to be tested but i haven't talked to him in a while so i don't know if the results came back yet or not.  I know he did end up killing all the bees because they were so agressive.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 06:47:48 pm »
Is that $33 or 300 pesos?  Looks like I'm going to have to sell alot more honey!

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 02:28:26 am »
hehehe i wish eigther price was the case they ranged from 250 to 300 US Dollars.  would be pretty interesting though to find out how to do it yourself and how much the equipment to do artificial insemination is.  At 300 a pop for a queen that's where the money is.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 10:03:43 pm »
Wow!!!!!!  I think I'll start raising queens next year.  Then I will have to find an enclosed, controlled environment to have control on the drones. My eyes are going bad, so I could not do the artificial ensimination!

Offline kalkulon

• Brood
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 11:24:23 pm »
Hello, I live in central Florida an have had one of my hives become africanized. Yep, they were mean and quick tempered. It took two hive teardowns on two consecutive days to find the queen and kill her. On the third day, I put in a new queen. I figure about 150 - 200 stingers each day to suit and gloves. I had to wear a long sleeved shirt with the collar turned up under my suit, and duct tape on boots. This was in August of this year and it was a balmy 98 degrees. I walked around the yard and then sat under a tree to see how defensive and persistant they were. These bees would stay on me for 3-4 hundred feet and for about an hour. Re queening turned them back to normal in about three weeks.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 11:32:57 pm »
What an experience. It must have been mayham to find that queen

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2009, 11:56:33 am »
Hello, I live in central Florida an have had one of my hives become africanized. Yep, they were mean and quick tempered. It took two hive teardowns on two consecutive days to find the queen and kill her. On the third day, I put in a new queen. I figure about 150 - 200 stingers each day to suit and gloves. I had to wear a long sleeved shirt with the collar turned up under my suit, and duct tape on boots. This was in August of this year and it was a balmy 98 degrees. I walked around the yard and then sat under a tree to see how defensive and persistant they were. These bees would stay on me for 3-4 hundred feet and for about an hour. Re queening turned them back to normal in about three weeks.

Right,and people want to put bees in cities for green,cities are no place for bee keepers.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2009, 12:52:43 pm »
That probably depends on which cities? The further north, and cooler climates would not be as much a problem as your southern cities with warmer climates that support AHBs. Bees will be found in the cities without the beekeepers bringing them in anyway.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2009, 09:14:17 pm »
That probably depends on which cities? The further north, and cooler climates would not be as much a problem as your southern cities with warmer climates that support AHBs. Bees will be found in the cities without the beekeepers bringing them in anyway.

Africanized bees are allready in states where it freezes off and on 2-3 months out of the year. How long and how cold does it have to be before they will not live there ?

bigbearomaha

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 09:29:43 pm »
well, IF africanized bees do end up "everywhere", then that means even the feral bees living in city parks and neighborhoods will be taken over by them also, meaning that no matter what, they will be in the cities.

In which case, it would behoove northern beekeepers to learn how to work with africanized bees in the same manner the beekeepers in south and central america have already had to learn to do.

One can't run from the facts, only do the best one can to be prepared to deal with them.

Big bear

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2009, 10:09:30 pm »
from what i understand -African Bees do not form winter clusters like Eb's it seams to others and myself that they will be held at about the 30 degree latitude line  ;) we all know honeybees have to cluster to survive cold temps- 8-) RDY-B

Offline bens

• New Bee
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2009, 10:45:13 pm »
interesting article about mites and africanized bee's in Puerto Rico.

graduados.uprrp.edu/inventio/vol5_1/fight_against_mites.html

sorry, I couldn't post a direct link due to limited posts.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2009, 11:49:10 pm »

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2009, 02:17:00 am »

Sounds like my experience.  I counted 160 stingers on my gloves my hubbie duct-taped to my jacket when I went searching for the old queen to kill her.  Had to walk around my yard for 45 min in 95+ degree heat suited up before I could go into my house because they WOULDN'T GIVE UP.  I re-queened and in less than 4 weeks they were back to normal.  Smoking the AHB hive only made them madder!

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 11:00:28 am »

Sounds like my experience.  I counted 160 stingers on my gloves my hubbie duct-taped to my jacket when I went searching for the old queen to kill her.  Had to walk around my yard for 45 min in 95+ degree heat suited up before I could go into my house because they WOULDN'T GIVE UP.  I re-queened and in less than 4 weeks they were back to normal.  Smoking the AHB hive only made them madder!

Right and people think it's a joke bringing bees into the cities by the millions for so called green. People that control the breed and out breed the africanized bee is fine but it will get out of control with people not doing what they should. The thing is,if they let them get africanized and then they swarm,which they will,well then they will have them all over the city. Then they get into bee catchers having to catch them.